Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Burger

Lifting Straps for a Dinghy

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by FIQ, Feb 25, 2017.

1. FIQ

FIQ Member

Update..

UMT sent me a quote for the 110 Sport.

I called them and said that I had a 11 Classic, not the Sport.

Juan told me to send in the measurements so that theycan build them.

I asked about the chances of the welded ring breaking and he said that they would replce the sling if that happened.

Wouldn't comment on possible damage to the dinghy or the mother vessel.

Think that I'll just use a quality shackle and just leave the ring dangle!
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

While looking into tender bridles came upon US Cargo Control lifting straps and all the need accessories. The lifting straps I am leaning towards are the polyester round slings with stainless shackles for all connections and used for commercial material handling. Looks to be very simple and safe system to set up. No crimped wire cable or welded rings to fail, don't see any negatives. We used to lift our materials up on hi-rise condo's with similar equipment. Just wondering if anyone has used this equipment before and how it worked out.
    These are the straps mentioned:
    http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/Polyester-Round-Slings
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Personally I'd have a custom one from Dynema.
  4. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

It's not clear how you intend to use them, since both the eye-to-eye and the endless loops are described as "round slings". Assuming that your tender has dedicated lifting points, you'll need to test-lift with rope to determine the lengths needed for establishing the balance point. Once having gone that far, you might as well finish the job and make it up from Dyneema, as MBevins suggests, with the ideal ease of use hardware like a large ring and either carabiniers or snap shackles. You-Tube has all the tutorials you need to splice eyes in that great material. I've done a few of them, and the beauty is that you can undo the splices to accommodate unforeseen issues, like finding out that the dingy won't clear the rail when it's picked up. No need to ask how I know that:(
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

UMT did a lifting harness for me for an 11' sport that I put a 40' Mercury on. I will try to look up the invoice when I have time as they should be able to find the measurements in their paperwork for that job. It was about 5 years ago. The factory whaler harness is garbage as it's way too long (high) for the whaler to clear the yacht in most cases. You can lift the whaler with the factory lifting eyes in the hull on the inside, that is what they are designed for.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

d_meister will be lifting a 15' Edgewater...approx. 1200 lbs....2 lifting eyes at transom...1 eye on the bow. Plan to rig a test bridle for center gravity and order the correct lengths. Eye to eye straps with stainless shackles at the lifting eyes...the davit has a heavy stainless snap hook large enough for the three eyes on the straps. There is a low 6" high rail to clear where the tender will beā€¦the previous owner had a 17' inflatable and don't know what bridle setup he had. Like Capt J said...got to make sure bridle is not to long.