Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Latest Wally Designs...

Discussion in 'Wally Yacht' started by AMG, Mar 14, 2005.

1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The most avant-garde in yacht design is again seen from italian Wally Yachts. Here is the proposal for a giant 70m motoryacht beside the already launched Wally 118´ and with a Wally-tender at the stern. Only the future will tell, but it seems as the trend today is moving away from the curvy shapes with elliptical windows towards more simple and understated designs, where Wally has made it an art of it's own.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

On the subject of Wallys, here are some new renderings on the upcoming Wally 67'...

Specs:

For those who prefer a more sporty yacht than the 67 WallyPower that features the glass superstructure completely closed, Wally developed the 67 WallyPower Open. This new version of the 21-meter (67-foot) motor yacht currently under construction, is suitable for a daily use and features an even larger social cockpit because the aft tender garage is replaced by a flush deck area.

Like the 67 WallyPower, the Open version offers the choice of three different interior layouts: “lunch” boat with the owner’s suite plus a very large galley; three guest cabins; and suite with an immense owner’s stateroom taking up half of the accommodation area.

The Open version is powered by the same propulsion system of the 67 WallyPower - two MTU diesel engines generating 3,000 Hp driving KaMeWa water-jets- but she is faster because of her lighter displacement.

Attached Files:

3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I didn't like the Wally's shape when I first saw it, but the more I studied it the more pleasing to my eye it became. The sharp, simple lines remind me of a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and the yacht has its own modern elegance.

However I certainly don't like that "beak" on the 67 Open. Even Fountain does it better than that. :rolleyes:
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The Wally design

I agree that the Wally look is an acquired taste, and I'm sure that Frank Lloyd Wright had his share of detractors.
    There will always be someone who bites at the latest idea, however odd to the rest of us.
    I remember all the high-powered yacht brokers who panned the look of the "popsickle" bow pulpit that the Lazarra boys offered on their popular late '80s- early '90s Gulfstar/Viking motoryacht lines; the great unwashed (buyers, ahem) didn't seem to mind much...

But, I digress. Call me a Philistine, but the Wally look, reminiscent of Dick Tracy's chin, is too large a departure for us traditionalists, and I believe most buyers would count themselves as such.
    Look, for example, at the two latest flops from GM--- the Pontiac Aztek and the latest Cadillac STS/CTS et. al.--- John Belushi-esque "Samurai ChopSlash Design" are just not moving off dealer's lots. Too wierd, too niche-like to appeal to the crowd.

So, of course, they'll probably sell the **** out of them, just to show me what I know!
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Eventhough I prefer the Wally sailing yachts over their power yachts, I will probably never be able to buy one. But after visiting their website, www.*********, I have decided that I must at least get a pair of Wally-ski´s one day... :cool:

Attached Files:

6. SAB

SAB New Member

wally ski

they are not really Wally skis are they??... where are the sharp corners??.. should be smoke glass with sharp corners to be a wally ski... that would be cool!
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On the upper side the Luca Bassani designed Wally ski has only dark carbon fibre with a small titanium logo at the further back. If this isn´t cool enough for you, maybe the price tag is; Euro 2.000! :cool:
  8. YachtForums

Elonquently said... :)

The Wally designs seem to appeal to a younger generation, who embrace the abstract departure these boats represent. You could call Wally's an expression of individuality... the ultimate challenge to the status quo.

In the end, the quandry and debate over their designs will do more to raise awareness, than sighting these Italian attempts at stealth. There is a certain brilliance in creating press by deliberation. It can also be a double-edged sword.

Time and sales will tell...
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I think the Wally Power 118´ and the 70 m are more statements to get attention to the brand, than yachts that will be repeated. How fun would it be to enter Monaco as the third similar 118? But if they can sell the smaller models where image is of more importance than being unique, they have still achieved their goals.

The Wally sailing boats have created a trend and I am sure the power boats will as well. I have used some of their lines on a couple of my designs, as well as I have found some of mine on theirs... ;)

I think I was a little ahead of time with my 118´ from 1994, only that I did not have the means to build it... :eek:

Attached Files:

10. YachtForums

Lars,

I personally believe your design above strikes a nice balance of futuristic styling, while maintaining proven and accepted (dare I say: traditional?) design elements.

I like it. :)
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Carl, I feel oldfashioned when I browse the *********... :eek:

Have you noted that there are no visible antennas on the 118? Both radar and satcom is hidden under the glass above the bridge. The RIB-tender is hidden under the fore deck, and under the tender is hidden a sophisticated anchor system! You can see the anchor chain (I suppose it is a chain?) coming through the bottom. I think you can have it on their sailing boats too, saving weight from the foreship. Have a look at the future... :cool:

Attached Files:

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Market Taste

Back in the 1980's I can remember my trials and tribulations with the marketing of multihull vessels to the overwhelming monohull market of American. I was watching a finance show on TV where they were interviewing the CEO of RubberMaid corp, and he had a whole table full of multicolored kitchen ware. He was asked why so many different colors, and what colors were the most popular? He then replied, "are you talking Europe or America? We sell basically two colors in America, white and beige, some black. All the other bright colors are for Europe."

America is one of the most conservative buying markets in the world, even though they would never believe that of themselves.

I still remember that interview and my frustrations with having American clients look at what was going on in European multihull scene
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There are pics on the site of the anchor/chain, as well as some footage of it in action in one of the videos... I'll go find the link in a moment.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Ok, go HERE and click the video for "Fast & East" over on the right hand side. It seems that only the Windows Media Player file for low-speed is working right now, but you'll see the anchor right away, it's part of the first segment. The video is of Tiketitan, but I'm certain Wallypower uses the same principle.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Another Wally "invention"....

Have you noted that the Wally website is not consisting of so called Flash-files with things and decorations moving around? You don´t have to click on a first page and wait at a "loading-sign" to see what is behind and you don´t have to reload the whole page when you are looking at stuff?

How come that the most avantgarde company in the whole yachting business doesn´t have the most advanced website in the biz? My guess is that they are already beyond that. That they, as little as anyone don´t like to wait for these board-room presentations to load. Today you can not even go in to certain web-sites with a dial-up-modem.

I have to say that I think Wally are at the forefront even here, a nice layout, top quality pictures (that you can download), easy and fast navigation and a content covering just about every question you can have.

Let´s hope this is deliberate and that this "evolution" will continue to others, because frankly, and I am a very calm person, but eventhough I have a very fast connection I just quit many of the flash-sites instead of waiting for those young web-gurus latest inventions to load...

My applauds to Wally! :)
  16. YachtForums

My applauds to Lars! Well said. :cool:
  17. catmando

catmando Senior Member

That is awesome!! Some of the cleanest lines I've ever seen. Modern but not so "out there" as the Wallys. Great job and I hope you find a builder. I would buy it. :) :)
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

19. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Thanks for the link. :) Is there room for a turbine between the diesels? I gotta have more SPEEEEEEEEED!! :D
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

More speed? Isn´t 50 knots enough for you, then take a look at this link;
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6740&postcount=78

As on that 50 m yacht, my recipe would be two gasturbines on straight waterjets and a centre diesel over a steerable jet. This is weightsaving (compared to the usual 2 diesel and 1 turbine) and you will have a good combination for both fast runs, longer trips at an economic and still decent speed and for harbour use.

The Wally 118 has three gasturbines over waterjets, the central straight and the two outer steerable. They have also a subsystem where two small diesels are working through (?) the outer waterjets for harbour use.

If you have my 118´built, we will see what system will be the best... :)

But in general, I would not recommend to go more than 50 knots with yachts over 100 feet. The structural stress is immense and the cost of light weight construction is also immense... ;)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005