Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Land transport of a 50' Chris Craft Constellation and Bridge Removal?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by DouglasL, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

I found a company that can transport a 1960's 50' Chris Craft Constellation on a semi-trailer by land. Only issue is that the bridge needs to be removed. Move would be for about 1,500 miles.

They said any qualified marina can do it, and it's no problem reinstalling the bridge at the destination.

My question is, Has anyone done this type of move before on their Connie?
    If yes, was the bridge installation OK, with no issues structural or electrical later on?

Thanks for your help,

Douglas
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes it's done all the time, but yes the job gets messed up fairly often. Make the removal and installation the responsibility of the mover because he's the one at both ends of the move and in between. Also mark the connection in several locations with a mark or tape to assure proper realignment. Confirm beforehand if any screws are stripped and that none additional are stripped upon reinstallation. If the connection is painted, razor cut it before removal. Absolutely check the references of the mover. There are more than a few with bad reps. Take lots of pictures, especially of spots that could get whacked by trees, etc.

For the money I assume you're moving the boat to an inland or cross-country location. Otherwise it would probably make more sense to transport on her own bottom.
  3. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

Hi NYCAP123,

Yes, it's a cross-country move. Thus, moving on her own bottom is not that feasible.

How many electrical connections would need to be spliced on the bridge portion, only those cables going to the roof of the bridge?
    I assume that any control cables would be left on, so would the steering wheel, engine controls, etc.?
    What about the windows?

Below is a photo of a similar Constellation, with the bridge circled in red. This would be the only part that needs to be removed, correct?

Thanks,

Douglas

upload_2015-8-31_13-7-38.png
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Somebody is going to dismantle 55 year old windows and frames?
    Angled supports? Overhead lights , radar signal cables, nav lights, TV antenna coax, GPS coax, wires (air hose) to the horns, any other overhead electronics, Windshield wipers, defoggers, stereo speakers, extra vertical supports, trim and paint lines at assembly joints? There is enough to make work for several days on each end if it all dissembles easy.

NYCAP may have been concerned with extra items that would be involved in a complete flying bridge including redundant electric wire harness and switches, steering, throttles and clutches.

This pic does not have the fly bridge, but does still have many hours of properly dissemble and re-assembly, even with no deteriorated hardware.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On a low or hydrolic trailer, is there more than 16' involved with the top still on?
    Pulling the rudders, wheels and shafts may be easier.
    Must be a deep keel.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your mover will know how far he has to cut her down based on the type of trailer he uses, but I believe the answer to all those questions is 'correct'. Take note of rcraps first sentence showing alarm due to her age, and the precautions I mentioned in post #2. Between the distance it's being moved and the age of the boat this could very easily become a problem move, dis-assembly and reassembly. The more precautions you take at the front end, the less likely you'll have problems at the back end. Paramount is that the mover take responsibility for the entire operation including dis-assembly and reassembly. Otherwise you could face fingers pointing to the opposite coast and back as to whom to speak with about any problems.

On a side note, there was a thread started several years ago by someone who moved a similar boat to a lake out west. He did everything himself. Go to the SEARCH feature and see if you can locate the thread. It'll give you good insight.
  7. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

Thanks, I'll do a search for that move.
  8. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

Did a search for the following keywords and/or sentence: transport, move, lake, lakes, constellation; no luck on finding the old post.

Do you happen to remember if they had to take off the bridge on the boat. To me, it seems a bit drastic, but I understand that many bridges are now 14' or lower.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Try "Truck transport". I didn't notice the exact thread I was referencing, but there were several there that will increase your knowledge on the subject. You can also PM some of the people from those threads that have done it to hear their experiences direct.

Taking off the superstructures isn't at all unusual. It just needs to be done right and with care. If it's done without proper care, you end up with an ill-fitting rattle-trap.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

It can be done, question is, how much do you want to spend.