Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Koehler generator hard to keep running

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by elliottsurf, Jul 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. elliottsurf

elliottsurf New Member

My 6.5 generator has been hard starting for the last two weeks. The instructions tell us not to hold it for more than seven seconds and after three times to wait and let it drain. It suggests that the filters might be clogged on the intake or that the exhaust may have been flooded and water could get to the six cylinders.

I did the following. I checked the water inlet. It's OK I check the spark plugs they are OK. Next I had my wife PRESSE started and I manually held the electric choke and the thing ran beautifully. Problem is whenever I would let it go or he's off the unit sound like it was starving and was going to cut out. I did all of this not under load
    Eventually it ran smoother but still sounds like it's hesitating. Any ideas
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What does the electric choke do when you're not manually press it? It sounds like your electric choke is going bad and should be changed.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It's a Koehler.... Need I say more?

How old are the plugs? These things are known to eat plugs and impellers. They may look good but change them anyway
  4. elliottsurf

elliottsurf New Member

Th
    The electric choke seems to save the motor from cutting out by my interfering with it
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fuel jet or float valve restriction.
    Time to pull the carb.