Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights

Knowledgeable Burger Hull surveyor

Discussion in 'Burger Yacht' started by ikold, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ikold

ikold New Member

Am on my way to look at 70's Burger that appears to be in excellent condition. can anyone recommend an excellent Burger knowledgeable hull surveyor in the Ft. Lauderdale area ?

Much thanks.
  2. Harry

Harry New Member

I currently own a 1989 80 foot burger in prime condition if you want any general info call me on my cell . Harry
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Malcolm Elliot at Florida Nautical Surveyors.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ditto.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Apart from everything else, get the hull audio gauged, it is difficult as it has to be done from the inside. the barrier coat will not allow a good reading.Compare the reading to the original scantlings and thickness of hull plating. I would also have an electrolysis check done to be sure there is no Dc voltage leaks to the hull.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Why does it have to be done from the inside?
  7. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Baron Rohl- Marine Surveyor Group
  8. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

When I had mine audio gauged, the technician said he got inaccurate readings from the outside due to the bottom paint and the barrier coat, he got better readings doing it form inside, also he could see what might be corroded areas if the exist. Now that was in 1991, maybe technology has improved since then.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every audiogauge I've seen has been done from the outside. If there were shallow readings, the surveyor would then look at those area's inside of the vessel. But, I have never seen it done from the inside.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

whatever works is what counts, if I did again I would request it be done from the inside, it also gives you a good look at all different areas of you hull which you may never see.
  11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Malcolm just surveyed an aluminum hull for me last week. He's good people, knows what he's doing and isn't shy about telling you exactly what condition the vessel is in.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, I agree. I've known him for over a decade and been on at least 50 surveys with Malcolm surveying the boat.
  13. ikold

ikold New Member

Thanks

Calling Malcom in the morning. Thanks.
  14. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Google aluminum Hull Cathodic Protection for invaluable insight into protection of aluminum hulls. Before you haul and get to audio gauging the surveyor should use a portable cathodic protection and corrosion meter to see if the boat is "right now" adequately protected. Have him do this before the boat leaves the dock to proceed to the yard for haul out. Do it while connected to shore power and again when on generator power. If the aluminum hull is being properly cared for, protected and maintained there will be no excuse for lower level / lack of protection readings. Aluminum (in my opinion) is one of the best hull materials. But it must be properly protected and maintained. Good Luck.