Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Joystick Controls

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by 480AR, Feb 2, 2012.

1. 480AR

480AR New Member

Among the updates we are doing this year is installing a Xentas Joystick system with the help of SkipperBuds up here in the Chicago area. Our 58 Sedan Bridge already has front and rear thrusters, but if something ever happened to me, I'm not sure it would be very easy for my wife to bring the boat to the dock.

I will provide an update as the project progresses.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Goodluck on getting that to work properly and with good maneuverability. A friend of mine went through 8 entire days of having ZF techs on a 43' Tiara with the factory Tiara installed ZF system that utilizes the bow thruster and gears, it never did end up working smoothly.......
  3. 480AR

480AR New Member

Yes, I have heard about such problems. The Xentas system has been used successfully on Azimuts (among others). Now they are getting into the retrofit market.

Apparently the big difference is in the software (not to mention the cost!)

Boat doesn't go into the water until mid-April (ice willing). I will provide an update then.
  4. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    I hope the system works for you. I have an older Azimut 55, but I demoed a newer model with the joystick. I found the joystick used too much thrust at times, and I found myself over correcting, but I suspect I would have gotten used to it. At this stage, I'm quite proficient with the standard controls and bow thruster. I wouldn't want to change that with an alternative system, particularly with the risk that could come with a retrofit system.

My wife couldn't find the dock, let alone get it into our slip, joystick or not. I've taught my wife how to drive the boat in open water, how to use channel 16, how to tell "good water" from "bad water" on the chartplotter, and how to tell the current lat/lon from the chartplotter. If something happens to me, I could care less if she docks it. Heck, I could care less if she destroys it. I'll be happy if she can just get just keep it upright and floating until help arrives.

I also taught her how to use the life raft and the ditch bag.

I know .... she should learn more .... but I'm happy to be boating and married. Try to do too much, and one or the other will give way.
  5. 480AR

480AR New Member

I've boated without a joystick for many years, without problems. And our 58 Sedan Bridge has both bow and stern thrusters.

My wife really believes she needs to know how to dock the boat, if an emergency arises, hence, the joystick system. The beauty of this system is that if something happens to the joystick, it defaults to our "old" way of using the bow and stern thrusters -- we're not taking their controls out.

So like you, I'm thrilled to be married and boating, and this system will help the marriage part!
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Teach her how to safely get the boat near the marina or inlet and how to call seatow or USCG. If something has happened to you she won't be in any mental shape to dock!
  7. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

I'm catching the drift that she "actually wants to take part and learn".... why is everyone suggesting she shy away? Any problem with a wife docking a boat? :/ (i'm not married yet, thankfully :p, but if my wife doesnt like boating she surely wont become my wife heehehe)

I applaud your efforts in trying to be "accomodating", and although I dont know the particular system, having it in place may give her enough confidence to gradually learn to operate the conventional controls too (or not, who knows...)...

Anyways, I think its good that she is open and that you are both enjoying boating together... have fun! (and lets hope if she does dock it its just cause you had a couple of beers too many ;))
  8. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    Makes all the difference in the world. If my wife showed any interest in learning more about operating the boat, I'd buy any tool that would make her more interested/comfortable. We're both lucky, but in opposite ways!
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like you're getting to be an old (experienced) guy.:D We recognize that the more the boats run themselves, the more our skills diminish. We also know that electronics and mechanicals stop working, and it always happens at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law). I rarely ever even use a bow thruster, but then again I don't even use (trust) a smart phone. I'm ashamed to admit that I use GPS so much that I don't plot my courses on paper anymore. :eek:
    All that said, whatever gets a person behind the helm is a good thing, especially a wife. I run some Ladies In Boating seminars and there's a definite reluctance of women to take the helm. When I needed a captain my wife got her ticket and was a terrific boat handler. However before and since, when it was not needed for business, she would never take the helm. It's a psychological or societal thing I guess.
    I look forward to hearing how the system works, and if it gets your wife on the helm.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why not just teach her the proper way and how to use the gears and bow and stern thruster. I've watched a 7 year old kid dock a boat his size on a face dock with bow and stern thrusters. It's not that difficult to get to a dock with bow and stern thrusters, in a case of emergency, putting it in a tight spot is entirely different.
  11. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Its sometimes not as easy as you are suggesting... I have seen women drive boats too, i've seen children, i've driven and docked since i was very young myself, doesnt make any difference to the question at hand...

The point remains that the joystick is less intimidating, and therefore is a valid stepping stone...

I'm all for it.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, except you cannot drive the boat from wherever you are all of the way to the dock with the joystick........
  13. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Perhaps you havent had contact with someone who is intimidated by something of similar nature... be it technology, driving a car, or a boat... But in these cases giving the person a stepping stone is sometimes all it takes to break what would look like very large barriers (in this case even docking a boat)...

The joystick for docking is merely the tip of the iceberg potentially... if the wife (in this case) takes a liking to it she will be docking (with or without joystick) and driving before she knows it... whereas without the "stepping stone" she may just be too intimidated by the controls and never want to even try anything...
  14. Capt'n Crunch

Capt'n Crunch New Member

I am currious how the Xentas interfaces to your current gear/throttle controls? CANbus perhaps? What do you have for gears and throttles?

Capt'n Crunch
  15. 480AR

480AR New Member

The boat uses Rexroth for the throttle/gear controls. The Rexroth alllows for an additional station, and essentially the joystick becomes that additional station. I continue to have full use of the throttle and gear controls as well as the bow and stern thrusters.

On February 21st the boat got wet for the first time this year. It was warm up here in Chicago so they launched her to to some initial tests and everything went great. In fact it is hard to tell the difference between the Xenta and pods with the joystick.

The boat is now back in her nice warm spot for the balance of the winter!

And to respond to those who don't understand why my wife can't just learn the controls.....she can, and has. She's fine out on the water. But coming into our very narrow channel, that can only handle a single boat at a time, is a lot to throw at her, especially steering with the gear controls and thrusters on and off again. Add to all that backing into the slip when there's a cross wind!

That's why we're trying the joystick.
  16. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Best of luck to you and the wife. As an Azimut user I can tell you it works very fine, my friend's 11 year old, on his 2nd ever boarding on a boat, got the hang of controlling a 95er. No doubt the bow thruster has TOO much power in the maneuver but you (or she!) will get to feel the compensation. For me, I like using gears only, not really into gadgets cause am at sea for hard earned fun!

Cheers.
  17. Capt'n Crunch

Capt'n Crunch New Member

Thanks for the information 480AR. I agree on the joystick giving confidence in tricky situations. I think she will like it.
  18. 480AR

480AR New Member

Boat is in the water and we had our first test last Friday. It was a very windy day with with 25+ mph blowing out of the NE. We spent about a hour just working it around the harbor. My wife was able to move it up and down the "runway" (east to west) with no problems. Even with the wind blowing us around, she was able to keep it moving straight and level. I tried docking it a few times, without difficulty. I must admit that the winds made it hard on the electric thrusters, but that's not a Xenta issue. Finally we tried the "electronic anchor". The system held station very well, even with the wind. I was really impressed.

So bottom line, mission accomplished! My wife felt so much more confident and it really showed. In a bit less wind, she will be docking the boat while I handle the lines!

I know a reader of this forum got to test our boat even before we did, and I do hope he enjoyed it as much as we did!

If anyone's interested in doing a demo, it can be arranged through SkipperBuds in Winthrop Harbor, IL (847-372-3200). Thus far, I would definitely recommend the Xenta system for anyone with the same needs as we had.
  19. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you. Does the system use both your bow and stern thruster or just the bow? I had meetings in Chicago last week so went down by boat and stayed at Dusable. While I was there I helped a Skipper Bud's guy who was single handing a boat (older 48-50' sea ray I think) land. I got talking to him and he said he had just installed the system and that it was just using computers to control the thrust/direction of the motors and the bow thruster no stern. Later when the owner arrived I watched them test the system around the harbor and judging by the smile on the owner's face and the control they had over the boat it seemed to work quite well.

max
  20. 480AR

480AR New Member

It uses both the bow and stern thrusters, but with intelligence. For example, if you want to go sideways, it is smart enough to know that the bow and stern do not do that with the same efficiency, so it adjusts for that, and keeps you on the same heading. When we were fighting the NE wind, it was also engaging the engines as well. First it brings them on slowly, using the trolling valve, so you don't even feel it engage. Very impressive stuff.