Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Isla Mujeres

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Hattcapt, Jul 29, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hattcapt

Hattcapt New Member

Hello to everyone, new to forum.
    I run a 136 motoryacht, 7 foot draft, looking to explore Isla Mujeres area, we do not anchor out.
    Hoping to get input from folks with recent experience.
    Thanks
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's beautiful, decent to explore, but we felt it was a one or two day place. We chose to dock for the majority of time in Cancun. If one likes diving, a lot of that from Isla Mujeres. Marina Paraiso, El Milagro and Puerto Isla Mujeres all are tied to resorts. A golf cart may be the best way to see the Island. You are pressing the limits with your draft but should be ok. We were there with a 130' boat and 6'6" draft. Not knowing the people on your boat it's hard to speculate. Isla Mujeres is pleasant and relaxing, but younger people who want fun are going to want Cancun. Isla Mujeres is the place to avoid them. The big activity in Isla Mujeres is diving, when we don't do. We did charter a fishing boat and charter a sail boat in Cancun.
  3. Hattcapt

Hattcapt New Member

Thanks for that older. Owners looking for food, cocktails and shopping. Is there any sort of town in Isla that offers different eateries and cafes?
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Shopping in Isla Mujeres is limited. Restaurants are largely at the northern end of the island but some near the marinas. We liked Sunset Grill for seafood. They even offer candlelight dinners on the beach. The only other meal we ate on the island was at Olivia which is Mediterranean. It's more in what would amount to the downtown area but very good. There is excellent Italian food on the island and Caribbean.

Isla Mujeres is a resort island and all about tourists. Yet, it's not touristy in the sense Cancun is. It's not all about partying.

Still if I was staying on Isla Mujeres I would ferry over and explore Cancun and I'd at least witness some of the night life of Cancun. We had to visit Senor Frogs just to see what the party life there was like. It was entertaining to say the least. I felt an obligation to see what thousands of college kids go there for.