Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Is Post in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by midocean, Apr 3, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. midocean

midocean Guest

Ive been trying to call for a week now. No-one answers. No reply to emails...

If anyone can help, we need two aft deck hatches for a 47 and a port engine vent... anyone with access to molds?

Thanks

T
  2. ancientmariner

ancientmariner New Member

I think your problem may stem from asking for molds. What do you mean by molds? All you need is a comprehensive marine catalog, i.e. Vetus, and some above average mechanical skills. Cutting holes in a sea-going vessel is serious stuff. If you are very familiar with glass work, the results of breaching the integrity of a hull, then go for it. Otherwise, find a professional that knows his stuff, is insured, and can leave you with a water tight deck and hull that will get you back to port when the going gets tough.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

He's only looking for the factory hatches to replace his factory hatches. BUT, any decent fiberglass guy should be able to make you fiberglass hatches without too much difficulty.
  4. midocean

midocean Guest

Thanks... The easy thing to do would be to get the factory stuff. This is where we are starting. What you suggested is probably what we are going to have to do. As far as the vents, we may enclose both sides and take on the late model look.
  5. midocean

midocean Guest

Thanks for your help. Fortunately we are not total idiots and have a staff of fully qualified individuals on this project. As far as finding anyone in the marine fiberglass business in Florida who is "insured".... still laughing at that one... You were kidding, right??
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you have any of the old lids etc any of your "fully qualified individuals" should be able to use it as a plug to knock up a useable mold to knock out a few more.

You never know if you do a good job you might be able to sell some :)
  7. ancientmariner

Re "total idiots" and "fully qualified staff". I have several dozen catalogs with O.E.M. and aftermarket hatches. Replacing old with new should be fairly straightforward. Insurance? Still laughing? I guess we aren't as hip out here. All the major yards in the Bay Area, i.e. Alameda Yacht & Ship, Svendsen's, KKMI, are willing to work on six and seven figure boats because they are insured.
  8. midocean

midocean Guest

We are in L.A. 2 mos out of the year. I work in the entertainment industry and can attest to the GREAT difference between east and west cultures...especially here in Fla. where the boat repair industry is in the toilet(morally and finacially). This is the reason I am having to "owner intercede" on my own behalf. We will probably do some one-off deck hatches... they are 25 x 40 with a 6" radius on all corners. I was just hoping to get lucky. It's alot easier to buys a set from post. As far as the side vent goes, it was damaged and all that is there is the original hole where the vent was. Structural issues shouldnt arrise. we may glass the whole thing in, cut a set of medern slots, and build a anti-reversion boax behind... but then we have to do it to the other side. Again, buying a vent from post would ahve been a lot simpler.

Thanks agian for the help.

T.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You could give these guys a shot they are in Tarpon Springs Fl and claim to have been in business a few years so they should be able to give you details of some satisfied customers

http://www.gbfiberglassparts.com/
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about. BUT, the hatches he is looking for were made by Post, for their boats and will not be found in any catalog and they fit into a special recessed lip in the deck. Therefore Post is the only game in town, UNLESS you want to go modifying the deck also.
  11. ancientmariner

CaptJ,
    Thank you for setting me straight on Post Hatches. An important part of my business is wood and glass boat restoration and repair. Out of the MANY hatches I have done, I haven't had to deal with this particular situation. This scenario reminds me of the concern vessel manufacturers USED to have for the buyer...none. Have to replace an alternator, belt, pump? Can't get to it because of no room for tools, bulkhead in the way, don't have a tiny person to squeeze and wiggle back in that corner. No problem. At least it wasn't when the boat was built. Need to remove an engine, or two, but no deck hatch or door is large enough or in the right location to get them out. No problem. At least it wasn't when the boat was built. Luckily today the people designing and building boats understand the value that accessibility to parts will add to the end product. Good luck and smooth seas to Midocean.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

100 Post Rd
    Mays Landing, NJ 08330

If the poster contacts the PD, Library, a Real Estate office, clerks office, a neighbor on Post Road or any number of businesses in Mays Landing they should be able to find out the situation with Post and probably be able to make contact. Since their web site and phones are active my guess would be they're just closed for a while to ride out the recession like so many others are doing. Beyond that, a deck hatch shouldn't be a hard thing to fabricate for a good fiberglasser.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Glasses are OK. It seemed midocean wants to deal with Post if at all possible so I figured a bit of skip tracing advice might be in order.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Try calling HMY yacht sales in Dania Beach, FL. They are a Post dealer, good people to work with, and could probably help you out. Talk to Rick in Parts.

If I remember correctly, an outside company made the hatches and so forth for Post back in the day. I cannot recall the name of them, but I believe they're still around and will still make or have some parts in stock from back in the day. Try asking HMY who they are.......

Sort of like Glasstech in Miami made, and still makes the cockpit decks, hatches, etc. for the classic Bertrams.....28', 31' 35' 46's etc.........
  16. midocean

midocean Guest

It's funny that you mention HMY. My family bought our first post 42 from Steve Moynihan in 1979. I was a Jr. in high school. Back then it was Steve, Art Hollier, and Ron Youngdol.... the original partners. When I was in my first year of college, I lived on that boat at the original HMY docks in Marina Bay and worked for HMY part time. When I was offered this 46 that I have now, we did an abstract check with the documentation and it showed that she had been ordered new by HMY back when they were a stocking dealer.

POST UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Joe, a post production mgr. they are on temp hiadus, awaiting better times. He is going to try to get me my parts. I was glad to see that they are still trying to keep things together and weather this economic storm.

T.
  17. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Post Status

Does anyone know if Post is still in business? I see that their website is no longer available.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

jrp

Somethings up. I can't connect to their website either....
  19. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I heard that Post sold the molds and lumber stock and all wire and cable stock to a marina on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake in Maryland.

I took a drive by that marina about 2 months or more ago but I did not see any molds out doors and the marina is pretty small.
    There is not place to hide them there.

I also heard the property is for sale.

I did'nt weant to mention it because it was a rumor.
    It appears, with the web site down, that the rumor may be valid.
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hey Posties

Sorry to confirm that POST Yachts has gone out of business. Just got an e-mail from my dealer.

Does that mean we own collector's items?

Beau