Click for Alexseal Click for Nordhavn Click for Lurssen Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Is 51 years old too old to start a career as a Yacht stewardess?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by KateAdventure, Aug 25, 2015.

1. rcrapps

rcrapps Senior Member

So, how about it Norse, you want to be pampered on an expensive charter with looks or grey hair and dentures?
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I would ask for more, but she just sent me a PM, all set:)
  3. rcrapps

rcrapps Senior Member

Good boy.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, I am the owner and operator so I'll take the grey hair and dentures, that is where the money is.
    The looks are for days off.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, and she can trust me, I am a gentleman and looking for a stew on my charter boat. (As long as my wife does not find out)
  6. rcrapps

rcrapps Senior Member

Good boy.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thx dad:)
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The challenge is the first job. It comes somewhat through luck. However, you can make your own good luck. You get your STCW, you take some other stew relevant courses at a maritime school, even develop other skills such as massage or personal training or cooking. Then you put yourself in places you might get that first job from crew houses to docks. You also realize that from the day you start toward the goal, you're interviewing. People you train with or meet in a crew house or see on the docks might be impressed by your maturity and work ethic or they might be completely turned away from you. Also, make it clear that there is no part of the job beneath you and that includes cleaning up after sick guests, swabbing the decks, cleaning the heads. Especially at the start it's a heavy, hard working, manual labor type position. You have to prove you're ok coming in as the lowest ranking member of the crew, taking orders from others 20 years and more younger than you, sharing a cabin with an 18 year old but treating her as your peer, not your daughter.

I did mention Julie Perry's website and book in post 3 and still recommend them.
  9. pamibach

pamibach New Member

well, as you can see, you will run into men who want only eye candy, but the most important thing is can you do the job well
  10. rcrapps

rcrapps Senior Member

There are many that do their work very well. Young and old, everywhere in between.
    In the later years, you have these many already ahead of you.
    NFGs are not going to just walk up to a boat with a box of certs and get their dream job.
    Knowing somebody, a training/placement program will help. Nice gams beat out some of the competition also. Eye candy? Yes, it may help.
  11. pamibach

pamibach New Member

I'd hire her on my crew, she probably has some good stories