Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Info on 1946 55' Trumpy Houseboat Shiloh, originally named Aurora?

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by Drewdaman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Drewdaman

Drewdaman New Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here but I'm a huge fan of the Trumpy houseboats - I lived in Annapolis for 10 years where I first became aware of them, and my wife and I got married on the Trumpy-designed High Spirits here in San Diego in 2007.

We've always wanted a Trumpy of our own (who doesn't??), but like many others are extremely intimidated by the cost of upkeep. And with a background in construction and renovation, I've had multiple experiences with renovation projects that have mushroomed out of control, lol.

Having said all that, I recently came across the above referenced Trumpy for sale in Port Jefferson, NY which seems like it may be a candidate for additional consideration for purchase and was wondering if anyone here had more information on her, beyond the info provided in the listing pasted below?

Shiloh is a 1946 55' Trumpy Houseboat originally named Aurora. The first yacht John Trumpy built for himself as a showboat. He owned the boat for 4 years. It was later owned by actress Susan Hayward in the early 60's. This vessel has a rich history as most Trumpy's have.

This is a project boat and needs TLC. She is structurally sound but is in need of cosmetics and minor wood work!

There is a beautiful aft deck with panoramic views,

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and for your commitment to these fine boats.

Drew

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Those words when used in relation to an old wooden boat should raise hairs all over ones body not just the back of the neck.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It would not be difficult to imagine having a half-million dollars or more and several years or more invested in that boat after a full, proper restoration. Many current Trumpy houseboat owners have spent double that dollar amount. If you have the skills to do the work yourself, then perhaps you can get it accomplished for much less. If you're happy enough with a "work in progress" yacht, then go for it and do the restoration in bite sized pieces. Understand that mother nature is working against you as time marches on. If you want a finished boat then shop carefully and buy one that is already done - for half the price of restoring one.
  4. Drewdaman

Drewdaman New Member

Thank you both for the input, and re Sea Eric's estimated cost and timeline for restoration, that's well beyond this working man's capabilities so I'll continue to enjoy these boats from afar.

Thanks again.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

K1W1 & SeaEric have passed precious information. You are the third wise man in this post in following their guide.