Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Walker

In water winter storage

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jumbo, Nov 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

Purchased a 1986 35 Viking convertible in May of 2016 and have had a terrific summer on Long Island's south shore. I have the opportunity to remain in the water for the winter, utilizing an ice eater if/when neccessary. I plan on draining all potable water systems and holding tanks, closing all non engine related seacocks?, and will maintain dockside power though out the winter. battery charger will always be active. Just installed a complete bridge enclosure.

After some 1st year tweeking, the fresh water cooled 454 crusaders are running perfectly right now. I start and run the motors up to temperature at least weekly and could do so all winter. If I were to maintain non freezing temperatures in the engine room with a electric ceramic disc heater, could I just periodically running the motors though out the winter without any winterizing being done? Any other systems need special attention?

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments

Jumbo
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Storing in the water, although can be done, would not be my first choice... Along with draining the potable water systems etc, be sure the A/C units are winterized as well. It is likely that with the water temps being that low, they won't be able to effectively produce heat anyway... Do your homework on whatever heat source you put in the ER of a gas boat... The thought alone would concern me...
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

What if the power to the ceramic disc heater failed?
    Any system that could be damaged by freezing should be properly winterized with non toxic antifreeze, spend the extra couple of bucks and buy the -100 instead of the -50.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

My big question would be "do you intend to use the boat in the winter?" Do you actually plan on going boating, going out and cruising?

I kept a boat in water behind my house year round in NC and kept it heated plus had a bubbler, although probably unneeded. Some huge differences though. Where you are, the low generally is below freezing from mid December to mid March. The average high in January is 38-40. So colder and not likely to find any nice boating days for part of the year. We averaged boating two weekends a month even in January.

The next difference is that we were there. We checked on it daily. We took extra steps if we had a severe temperature drop. We kept a thermometer in the engine area and maintained over 50 degrees, staying well above 40 degrees, even in zero degree weather. Our severe drops were very brief too.

It is possible to protect your engines without winterizing them but why? The only good answer I would see is you plan on getting out and cruising at least a couple of times a month even in winter. Otherwise, I'd winterize.
  5. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Will your insurance underwriter be pleased?
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I don't risk that, myself. We usually winter in the water, and we run a de-icer when necessary, but we do not run an engine room heater and we fully winterize the mains and genset.

We also winterize the AC and raw water washdown systems... along with the freshwater, toilet, and holding tank systems you mentioned.

Fridges defrosted and emptied, liquids off the boat...

-Chris
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would fully winterize the boat. I personally wouldn't put ANY kind of electric heater in a gas engine room.
  8. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

Gentlemen;
    Thanks to all for the feedback. Will be looking into dry storage this weekend. will winterize all systems. Can't get enough winter use to justify the risk of in water storage.

Thanks again,
    Jumbo
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have wintered in the water for 17 years with Bodacious. Winterize everything. If you lose power your engines will freeze up over night during February. DO NOT keep those engine sea cocks open no matter what you do. A small amount of ice can pop a hose and there you go to the bottom.

My boat weighs 60K and there is no way in my mind that any amount of poppets can properly support that weight over time - evident by sticking doors etc for those who do. I shrink wrap and the surrounding water keeps a more constant temp aboard. On land you have those daytime highs and nighttime lows that have a larger effect. I have engine heaters that keeps the engine room at a very pleasant 50 degrees all winter. I also drape a movers blanket over each engine. My insurance company is fine with my winter storage protocol
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  10. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Well, "fully winterizing" and "wintering in the water" can be two different -- i.e., separable -- things.

-Chris
  11. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I previously owned a 35 Viking that I kept in the water 12 months a year on the south shore of long island.
    Never an issue that I can recall.
    I used a heater in the engine room in extreme cold.
    I keep an ice eater on a tstat and timer.

The boat will stay warmer in the water than on land because the water is warmer.
    I do stuff the engine room vents with some foam to help keep the cold air out.
    Make sure you remove the foam if you start the boat so the Engine Room is properly vented.

Also, I have 12 month navigation in my insurance.

In my current boat, I keep block heaters on and heat the boat as needed.
    It stays pretty comfortable.

In the coldest months it cost me around $300 a month in added electricity.
    I am constantly monitoring the weather and checking the boat.

I do put the pink stuff through my AC and wash down systems so I can close the seacock and forget.

IF you do heat your engine room make sure it is an ignition protected unit and is certified "marine".
    Especially with gas engines you may have a problem with your insurance company if there is a fire and you had a household heater in your bilge.

I also have an outboard work boat that I keep in the water 12 months a year, I do absolutely nothing different with it.
    It runs a minimum of once a week, usually more.
    It doubles as an ice breaker.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's all good till you pop a shorepower breaker, then it's game over for a lot of systems.
  13. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

I have installed an alert unit on board that monitors temperature and power at all times. It notifies me immediately when any of my set thresholds are met (temp or power). You can monitor status without always being there. I purchase a cellular unit as wifi is not always available. The monthly charge is reasonable and you can pay by the month. I would certainly recommend one of these for any one wintering in water. But even during the summer its nice to know that the bait in your freezer is still frozen or that you ac is still working.

http://shop.tempalert.com/
  14. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I guess... but proximity helps. Given the only power I need while wintering in water is to occasionally run the de-icer... and given that's only necessary when temps will freeze our marina (not tooooo often around here)... and given I'm only about 5 minutes away, so I can usually get there easily to check things... and given our marina also checks all that themselves daily, and they have they're own electrician on call... that hasn't been much of a worry.

-Chris
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

But you're in Chesapeake Bay, a lot different in regards to temperatures in both the water and air. Chesapeake Bay I would consider keeping a winterized boat in the water, NY no.
  16. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Sure, fair enough. From your earlier comments, I thought you were making a blanket statement...

-Chris
  17. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

When doing a risk assessment in scenarios like this, I err on the side of caution and skew my focus towards the worst case scenario.
    In an instance like CaptJ mentioned ... "what if" the shore power breaker pops .... well, proximity, an electrician on call ... those are all great, and can probably fix the problem before freeze damage occurs .
    "What if" a storm or accident is the cause for power loss?
    "What if" power can't be restored for several days of sub freezing temperatures?
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

That's why I winterize everything.. I'd guess that we have about 150 boat in my marina doing it the same way I do. In 17 years I haven't heard of one calamity. But how you winter is your choice.
  19. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Run the genset?
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Winterizing in the water is done by many people in all areas. It was common on the lake we lived on, although we did not winterize, but our boat was right behind our house. As you mention, it's common where you are. While many are use to winterizing meaning hauling a boat, it doesn't have to. Much depends on how professional the marina is as well and what services they provide.