Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

How many inches saved in total height by removing prop?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by DouglasL, Oct 2, 2015.

1. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

I'm looking at potentially transporting a 50' CC Constellation.

It has 4 Blade, 24” X 20” Propellers, with @ a 4.5 inch hub.

Just of the top of my head, it'd looked like I could save about 8"-10" by removing the props?

Now, is the keel of a power boat going to be lower than the center nut/hub of the props? If not, do my numbers make sense?

Douglas
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It all depends on the keel. If it's a full keel it's not likely. If not it depends on the deadrise and where the high point of the boat is. If near midships, removing the props probably won't make much if any difference. Otherwise you're dealing with a maximum of the length of one blade. Generally the rudders will be at least as deep as the props, so they would have to be removed as well. The only way to know for sure is to put it on the trailer and pull out the tape measurer.

I once moved a boat into a shed. My measurement gave me 6" clearance so I rode the arch. Reality turned into more like 4". Wouldn't want to go down the road with that little clearance. This isn't a flat topped box truck. One low tree branch will change a boat drastically.
  3. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

This is for the 50' CC Constellation I'm looking at. Just want to see if I can get a lower total height for transportation, in case I buy it.
  4. wayneCCC

wayneCCC New Member

I can send you some pictures of my 57' CCC on the hard and you can get an idea of what it looks like underneath. PM me an email address and I will send to you.
  5. DouglasL

DouglasL New Member

@wayneCCC please check your PM. I sent you my email.

Thanks,
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Doug: Many of the boat moving trailers have pockets cut out for the prop shafts that allow for the the lowest overall height. 8 to 10 inches in height when moving a boat on a trailer is a big number. You may want to post your move on Uship or talk straight to a boat mover, there are several in LA.