Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

How long can I stay at sea

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Wefloat, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Wefloat

Wefloat New Member

I am doing the prepartion work to purchase a 40ft Sportfisher. I am a writer so I dream of motoring out into the gulf from St. Petersburg till I can't see land, drop anchor where there are fish, and stay for as long as I can before returning to port. I know I will need a fridge, some entertainment, lights at night, maintain a charge in the batteries, maybe hot water, coffee maker, occasional microwave. How long will the fuel last running the generator and what options are there for alternat power like solar or converting my stationary bike?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A generator in that size would burn 1/2 gph. You could install a watermaker. You do the match.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Most boats of that size carry about 300-600 gals. of fuel, and burn around 30 gph while running. .5 to 1 gph burn for the gen is about right. Most likely supplies like food, water or bait running low or the weather turning will head you back into shore within a couple of days. But then again, if you're a fishing nut almost anythng is possible. A friend in a 23' CC once went 60 nm off-shore to fish and tied to a buoy for about 5 days and through a couple of hellish storms. (not sure if his friends ever went back out with him again. lol.)

Of course if your intention is only to sit and fish, not troll or chase the fish, you could just get some sort of trawler that may carry 1,000 gals or more and burns less than 10 gph, but cruises at about 8 kts. Add a water maker and some solar panels and you could stay out a very long time; maybe months or until you lose your mind.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015