Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

How about a Princess 42 - for starters?

Discussion in 'Princess Yacht' started by biund, Apr 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. biund

biund New Member

I've been daycruising around Scandinavia for over ten years, and now start to look seriously into getting a slightly larger ship. I notice that some Princess 42's are decently priced. Especially if some 5 years old. I have seen them offered for less than half the price of a new boat, and none of them had over 500 engine hours. I also fancy the boat type.

I'd be grateful for opinions of the boat type (P42) in general, and opinions on buying a 5-year old boat in particular.

I will probably keep it for 2-4 years, and then hopefully be ready and able to move up to a 62, which is my goal - longer term. (The 62 does not have to be a Princess. It'll be a decision at the time and nothing I will contemplate at this stage.)
  2. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

Hi, I have an 11 year old Viking Sport Cruiser 50 flybridge which is actually made by Princess Yachts in England for Viking USA. The Viking version and the Princess are essentially the same boat. We have been very happy with the build quality. They do a very nice job with both the hull design and fabrication using an extensive stringer matrix with a solid fiberglass hull from the rub rail down. The hardware is excellent throughout compared to several other choices in the same class, nice stainless portholes, brass light fixtures and cabinet hardware, remote AC compressors, etc. It is a well thought out layout and most systems are well designed with reasonle access.

As far as a 5 year old boat, that is a very good age to purchase a boat. If it has been well taken care of, initial purchase issues have all been dealt with, the biggest depreciation has ocurred. Many of the systems have a lifetime of 10 to 15 years (e.g. auto pilot, ice makers, GPS systems, etc.) so the 5 to 10 year time frame can be a lower maintanence period relative to system replacement.

If you are planning to move up, I would suggest you look at their 50 model if it can fit into your plans. I personally find a 42 to 45 foot flybridge a bit short and find the 50 and larger flybridge models well proportioned. Driving a 50 ft boat is really no more difficult than a 42 foot boat and in some ways it is easier. So if this is a concern, it really should not be. By the way, the 61 Princess/VSC is a really beautiful boat.
  3. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The Princess 42 is a very good boat, and succesful in its size. I think around 400 plus where delivered in its still going six years plus production cycle.
    The 42 has a usuall Bernard Olenski hull with a moderate 18 degree vee deadrise aft with prop pockets. This usually gives a bit too bow high ride, but also a very dry ride.
    I personally like its large aft deck and stylish flybridge.
    If you want to spice it up in this size I suggest looking at a Fairline 43 Phantom, Azimut 43, Sealine F43/5, Galeon 440 Fly and the Sweedish built IPS powered Nord West 420.
    You still might choose the Princess here but at least you would have looked at many of the similar boats in this size.
    The Nord West and Galeon gives also a three cabins lower deck, and the Sealine gives a third bunk cabin as optional.