Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Helm Steering bearings

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by captnrontx, Feb 6, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

This past Saturday I noticed that there was a hydraulic leak around the base of the steering wheel. I talked to the boatyard manager and he said that the company that part for Carver is no longer in business. He is looking into an alternative, however, I wanted to also check with this board. I have a 1991 Carver 370 MY.
  2. MAV

MAV New Member

Interesting. Unless I'm missing something, it should be a Teleflex Seastar Helm. Very much in business. Typical external leak points are the shaft seal, rear cover seal, and line fittings. The shaft seal is where the shaft enters the housing. If it is wet there, it's a bad seal. If it's leaking further back or behind the dash, it's the fittings, cover seal, or the o-rings in the two side ports. You can still buy the helms and seal kits. There should be a brand label on it at the front or the back of the unit. There should also be a model number on it somewhere. If it's a Hynautic helm, they'll have seal kits for those too. If by chance it is a different brand that isn't available, Seastar should have a comparable replacement model. A picture would help.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017