Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Headhunter toilet vent issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by captainwjm, Jul 17, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I have 3 Headhunter toilets, one of which emits sewer odor after flushing. I suspect a vent issue. I see a vented loop but am unable to get to it. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this issue?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is it raw or potable water going into the head for rinse water?
    Boat brand & model may help.
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Potable water; Headhunter Royal Flush, aboard a 2000 Pacific Mariner. Master head, if that makes a difference.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Where do you get the smell? In the head, outside or near the holding tank?

If outside it s kind of normal although some tank treatment can reduce that. a charcoal filter on the vent will eliminate odors but will clog up if the tannins ever full

In the head after a flush is definitely not normal... with the head hunters I don't see how that could happen unless maybe the valve is stuck open allowing odors to come back. Even then the water in the base of the head should prevent odors

If the smell is inside and stronger near the tank I d suspect air is coming out when waste gets in. It s usually an issue with the gauge senders seal depending on what kind of gauge you have
  5. Kapn

Kapn Member

The vented loop might be an issue. But since you can't get to it, let's look at something else.
    Do the heads bubble as they finish flushing? Does one bubble when the others are flushed? If so, the holding tank vent filter might be clogged and so stinky air will come back up through the heads.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've also seen stinky freshwater (that's been in the water tank a while) do this with them, because the jet action automizes the water and will create a bad smell too. How does the water in the freshwater tank smell?
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Pascal, it is in the head after a flush. My thought is that it is the valve is stuck open allowing odors to come back even though there the water in the base of the head. Sometimes, but not every time, I can hear an air sound when doing a dockside pump-out, as if the pump-out is drawing air from behind/below the toilet, and not the outside vent. However, the outside vent is clear. I think it is in the vented loop, but I don't know how to service.

Kapn, there are no bubbles, and no tank vent filter.

Capt J, it's not the freshwater, we use only from the tank for all water needs, including drinking. No stinky water.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We're on the same boat at this moment but have never had that problem. I'd suggest calling Westport and they'll walk you right through servicing the vented loop, although they may well have an idea what the problem is. Since they use this toilet on every boat, they're very familiar with it.