Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

head hunter heads

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by compromise81, Aug 26, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. compromise81

compromise81 New Member

tank fill in three days with two people onboard....pump out shows lots of clear water
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Perhaps combined with grey water..? Not unusual...
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

They do use a lot of water, we (the 2 of us, with a motto of flush early and often) will fill a 160 gallon tank in a week.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What is the tank size, what kind boat??

And some people use the head much more than others... kids and older folks for instance.

You can adjust the duration of the flush on head hunters. 3" is usually good but some people set them too long. When I got I the 84 Lazzara I run, someone had set up the day head at 7"... and being the most used head we re filling the 200usd tank in as little as a day.

The control is a small dial hidden behind the head.
  5. compromise81

compromise81 New Member

Thanks for your info...the boat is a 75 Lazzara LSX and 100 gal tank. I have thought of switching to vacuflush...your thoughts?
  6. compromise81

compromise81 New Member

Thanks...its not grey water...already checked that one...its going overboard.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wouldn't. Headhunters are probably the most reliable heads you can have. I have vacuflush on my own boat and used to have the electronics magnum vacuflush on the boat I ran before the Lazzara. They were ok but not as good as the HH

If you adjust the flush timer, you should be ok.

If treatment systems are ok I now your area you could consider installing one space permitting
  8. compromise81

compromise81 New Member

Thanks for the info...I will adjust the timing of the flush and hope that it still flushes at 3"
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Headhunters are very reliable and very few parts to go wrong, basically only the flush valve solenoid. Easy to carry a spare and easy to change. I'd turn the timers down and instruct people to hold the button longer for #2 flushes.

The vaccuflushes use little water. I run a 62' Sunseeker and with 5 guests takes 2.5 days to fill a 34 gallon holding tank. Yes 34 gallon holding tank. But lots of parts to go wrong with them.....bowl seals, duct bills, circuit boards, flush arm solenoids etc........ I'd go new Raritan if I wanted to save water......easy to change, few parts, and a water saver flush button.....
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is also a valve back there to adjust the mount of water left in the bowl. Make sure you have enough water in there, it helps with solids if you reduce the flush time
  11. Kapn

Kapn Member

I agree with the comments of high water flow. But the system is good if it's adjusted properly. Some people adjust one head timer very low, for #1 flushes. Then the second head is tuned higher for a "hotel style" flush. As timers get old, they tend to flush longer and longer. Eventually they can't be adjusted and need to be replaced.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Some headhunter units have an express flush feature. That allows you just to rinse of flush liquids.