Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Burger

Has anyone uninstalled a fireboy engine room system?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Apr 29, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

i need to replace the compressor on my sportfish bait freezer ( keeps beers cold). I need to first move the full charged 200lbs fireboy canister out of the way. My fridge guy doesn't want to touch it for liability reasons. How hard is this? I'm onboard this weekend and would consider taking s crack w some advice.

Obviously don't want to end up spraying down the engine room.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you have a single bottle system it's easy... disconnect the wires and the manual cable and take it out of its bracket.

System with multiple bottles and hoses linking them are more complex, I woudl probably call a pro for this.

Now if your bottle is due for a check, this would be the right time to call a pro anyeay
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Pascal's right on the single bottle.
  4. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

It depends on the type of installation. Some older systems have plumbing from the bottle going to discharge ports. Otherwise, the emergency pull cable is straightforward to remove, and the alarm, if equipped, will go off when you pull the wiring off the switch on the bottle. The bottle goes off if either the emergency cable is pulled or the fusible link melts on the valve. Is the bottle in cert? If not, the very best guy in San Diego is Sergio Vargas, if I recall correctly that your boat is here.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Forgot to mention that if you remove the bottle and need to start the engines, you will need to put the fireboy control near the helm in override mode
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

The First thing you do on any suppression system is insert the safety pin in the firing mechanism then after the bottle is disconnected put on the safety cap.