Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

Great folks at Westport Shipyards!

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by gooddeal, Nov 4, 2003.

1. gooddeal

gooddeal Guest

Had the opportunity to visit and tour Westport's facilities and also met with Daryll Wakefield, the president of Westport. GREAT folks to work with and they building an outstanding yacht!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I agree. Thanks to Ron Nugent at Westport for supplying pictures and documentation.:)
  3. felixfloss

felixfloss New Member

Not So Great For Me:(

I have yet to interact with "the great folks at Westport." :mad: Actually I did interact briefly with a secretary via email. I contacted Westport through their online contact form on two separate occasions to request brochures. Not once did a receive a reply or any literature in the mail. My third contact was to the sales department, which has a link online for both Washington & Florida, though both links have exactly the same email address (c'mon Westport). I received a reply from an overly apolegetic secretary saying that this is not the way Westport does business & that she was forwarding an information package to me that day - well, it's been a week since and I've received squat from "the great folks at Westport." I requested info from Cheoy Lee after my attempts with WP and received that info on Thursday :) . I'm just disappointed in WP, especially since I'm so fond of their yachts. I might just as well buy from another shipyard though if this is how they treat customers. Might I add customers that are ready to invest millions of dollars in their product. Felix
  4. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

I haven't dealt much with the sales dept. at Westport in Washington. If you contact me PM I am sure I can get you in touch with someone at the Ft. Lauderdale office.
    I ran 112's for two different owners (different boats as well). The factory support for owners and captains is was very good. Always available for tech support or getting parts shipped out where ever the boat was.

Good luck
    Dave
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

My brother has an interest in buying a 112' and Westport has kept him updated with info continuously. I know this, because I see NEW literature at his house regularly. In addition, whenever I have requested images or specs, Westport's marketing department is among the most prompt I've dealt with.

In contrast, I have *repeatedly* asked for info from Cheoy Lee (for over 2 years) and have received NOTHING! They have gone through several marketing directors during this period of time and are currently without a designated person for this position.

Although it's possible someone dropped the ball at Westport, I'm certain this is an isolated occurence.
  6. felixfloss

felixfloss New Member

Well, you may lease, buy or walk away from my story, but it is the sad truth. They treated me the way you did, only without using words. However, I can turn the other cheek as fast as anyone else. Listed below is the contact information for a nice lady at Cheoy Lee named Grace. I'm sure she can help you with the information you need. Felix

Grace V. Zeilmann
    GraceZ@cheoylee.com
    Cheoy Lee Shipyards

954-527-0999
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have no experience with those two shipyards, but a lot of negative experience from others when it comes to responding to e-mails and contact forms over the net. Probably the majority are still not awake and understand the power of e-mail. Surprisingly also younger people and I know for sure that they are losing potential clients by this ignorance.

Let´s just hope they learn that the world is changing and that business is global with customers in different time zones who are used to conduct serious business using the internet...
  8. Irish Wake

Irish Wake Member

As a customer of Westport i can't fathom this thread. From the beginning to and including the present my experience with this company has been outstanding. I would be hard pressed to find any fault with how i was treated by the entire staff from sales to service. If and when it's time for a new boat i doubt i'll even consider going anywhere else.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

As this thread is over a year old, and felixfloss was the only complainer, I think Carl's point that it was an isolated instance would hold true.
  10. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Well I never have posted before but I thought I would put my two cents in. I called a Westport sales rep two days before the Maimi boat show to make appointment to veiw a used boat that was at the show and one that was not at the show. When I got to the show He had no time for me. (busy showing other people) Which I can understand as it is a little crazy. I went back 3 times and finally He had someone else show me the boat that was at the show. We tryed to go see the other boat in the evening after the show had closed. But He could not find the time that day or the next. I am from Seattle and I flew down to look at boats and He could not find the time? I veiwed other boat with a broker from IYC and they made the time. I would like to put in a plug for IYC not only did he show me some boats. They called the sales person at Westport (they use to work together) and ask Him to show me the boat I wanted to see. As not to step on his toes. Which as of today, We are still trying to make a deal on that boat. To the Westport brokers defence I know there is a lot of people looking at the show and it gets busy. But I purchased my Burger 7 year ago at the Maimi show, so try and fnd some time. The bottom line is I have over 160 employees and I know that every now and then they mess up. Westport still builds a great product.
  11. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Well looks like the broker at westport is working out. Signing the deal today on a 106 westship. Will see how the survey and sea trail go.
  12. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Well the deal was finally signed. THANKS to the sales team at Westport. If anyone needs a great broker, pm me and I will give you his name. Thanks again and will see you Wednesdy to take delivery.:D
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Scott49- I am pleased to read that you got your boat or is it boats sorted out.

Your first post back in April says "Signing the deal today on a 106 Westship. Will see how the survey and sea trail go"

Your next one today says "Thanks again and will see you Wednesdy to take delivery."

Did it really take nearly 6 months to get this boat sorted out and delivered or were you so happy that have you bought two of them?
  14. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

No,can only afford one. The survey and sea trail went good, but my business really slowed down with the economy. So I past on the boat. That is were the broker at Westport really was great to me. He said no problem and fully under stood. Had my deposit back in a day. NO presure at all.
    We stayed in touch and when I was back in Florida looking at a less expensive boat, We met up at a brokers open and He informed me that the boat was with a bank and to make an offer. Right time, right place. Saved alot of money. Now we just need the econmy to pick up!
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details with the rest of us.

Your sound endorsement of the Broker is about as good as advertising gets.

Word of mouth can be an invaluable advertising medium but it is a two way street.

I hope you enjoy your new acquisition and also hope the economy picks up somewhat and soon.