Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross

Garmin Buys Active Captain

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JWY, May 12, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cruz

Cruz Member

I believe that it is fully integrated into Furuno chartplotters.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I believe, and may be wrong, that it's still only usable on the Windows computer, sort of a one way integration. Here's what AC's web site says on that.

MaxSea Time Zero Explorer
    MaxSea Time Zero Explorer by MaxSea is a high performance navigation product for Windows. It turns your PC into a multifunction Furuno display allowing Furuno NavNet3D instruments and radar to be integrated together with charts.

Not all that different than Garmin:

Garmin HomePort
    HomePort by Garmin is now a free download for Windows and Macintosh. It allows waypoints, routes, and other user data to be created on your laptop and transferred to Garmin chartplotters and the quatix watch.
    Our difference in what we perceive here may be definition. I think they're linked but not fully integrated and by that I mean you can't just go to your regular chart plotter and pull up your charts with AC layered into them. I see "integration" as seamless, not requiring a windows computer and software on it.

Perhaps someone here has used them in the manner shown above and can elaborate. I'm a regular user of AC but use it only as a stand alone aid in planning travels.

As to the future, I would be very surprised to see Garmin shut the 27 applications now supporting Active Captain out of the picture. I think AC needs an increase in users and more crowd sourcing of information, not less. Currently there are only 5,000 or so members of AC and as in most things the majority of those are not active participants and certainly not active contributors. I would hope the plan is to build the product, not reduce it's reach and use. Maybe just wishful thinking as none of us can be sure what they'll do. However, the value in AC is not simply it's identification of marinas, anchorages, shoals, bridges, locks etc., but the added information which has been put relative to them.

The current weakness of AC that I hear expressed most is especially expressed by those in the South Pacific as it appears not to have a lot of users in those areas so very limited information on marinas and anchorages. As a result, I've found very few users of it in Australia or New Zealand. Small markets, but still a lot of boaters.

Interesting that the announcement has been publicly made by Garmin but that AC hasn't mentioned it in their regular newsletters or on their site to this point.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Member

Not to belabor the Furuno point, but I had remembered reading about chartplotter integration in one of AC's weekly newsletters and just pulled it up from 2015: "Last week, Furuno showed their latest version of NavNet TZTouch2 at the Ft Lauderdale International Boat Show. This version has ActiveCaptain fully integrated into their chartplotter hardware product line. You can even write a review with the on-screen keyboard." Search for AC and Furuno to see the full text.

Indeed there is a product manual on Furuno's site with instructions for integrating and utilizing AC data right on the chartplotter. I too always have an iPad at the helm running Garmin when underway specifically to keep an eye on hazard markers. Having those on an MFD directly in front of me would be nice presuming you can filter out the other AC markers that are unneeded during navigation.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Speaking of Garmin:
    Got a quick question: during the recent Fort Lauderdale Air Show there was a viewing area for boats to anchor about a mile of the beach, and "box" where no anchoring was allowed, just under the flight path of the stunt and formation planes: the corners of the Box was indicated with buoys and chart coordinates. I plotted the 2 buoys on the Garmin 1040XS plotter and tried to draw a line between then, as in a simple route between 2 points, but could not do it. Did not have the manual available but tried to work the Route Page on the plotter, no cigar.
    Anybody remember how to do that..?
    Free beer and a ride on Odin for the lucky winner. :D

www.odincharters.com
  5. olderboater

Well, then guess Garmin will do that too now. I'd think they'll let Furuno keep the function but who knows. Thanks for the information. Not sure why AC doesn't show that on their site. And your point is important to thanks for belaboring it.
  6. olderboater

Adding to your information, Cruz, this from an Active Captain email dated February 10, 2016. Now, doesn't appear all the things planned happened and notice Garmin not mentioned. It was limited to the charts that use C-map only.

Furuno was the first announcing ActiveCaptain support in February, 2015 and providing it in products later the same year. That was a big step.

Today's announcement isn't just a step. It's a leap. And even leap isn't a big enough word.

This week at the Miami Boat Show, ActiveCaptain support will be
    announced for more than 600 models of chartplotters. Not 600 devices but 600 models, incorporating as many as a million in use devices. Support will include new models, as well as older, legacy models.

We're building a complete list of the chartplotters that will support
    ActiveCaptain. The list will include most of the chartplotters from
    Simrad, B&G, Lowrance, Raymarine, Sitex, Humminbird, Standard Horizon, and many others.
  7. Cruz

Cruz Member

Aha... The plot thickens :)
    I now do remember seeing that as well - thanx OB.

Separate from any of this, I spent some time with Jeff when we were tied up at the same marina a few years ago and he is truly, IMO, a stand-up guy. While we share a great passion for tech and boating and making it better through community, our shared connection with our canine children is where we really connected and what tells me the most about the type of people he and Karen are. Knowing what I do of them, they certainly must have taken every available measure to protect their AC baby before moving forward with Garmin. It cannot have been an easy process. This week's newsletter will be fascinating for sure.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Red Head is still here in Jax. Great folk.
    Sadly, I have not the chance to spend any time with them, others have (jealous) and report a fantastic meet and dock side hospitality.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I haven't jumped on the Active Captain bandwagon. I prefer cruising guides and the information on a chart like form for length, power, draft etc. I did sign up for active captain and will check out reviews and such, but didn't find it a complete substitute for a cruising guide.
  10. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

I checked out AC a few times last year and was not impressed, at least for so cal waters. On other forums, AC has been taking to task for some user posts being pulled from published cruising guides.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The problem with cruising guides is that they are very limited and quickly outdated. I guess for marinas the info doesn't change much but having the portability of the info is nice when you're planning a trip. Or when you're unread and need to call a marina it's easier to pull a phone or iPad, click the marker and the phone number to dial instead of looking for th guide, finding the page ad dialing the number ...

I don't care much for marina reviews... we all look at different things. So many small boat comments on the bathrooms and showers or people whining about dock hands not running quick enough to catch their lines...

Where it's shines, at least for the east coast and Bahamas is for anchorages. You just can't cram all that in a cruising guides
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just got the official notice from AC this morning;

So right now, Garmin owns ActiveCaptain. The transaction is complete and
    the plans are in place. The data is still licensed to other developers
    and you'll see little change. Karen and I will build some teams of
    people to take over and enhance the capabilities. Together we'll expand
    social navigation into fishing and other boating activities. We'll have
    an immediate worldwide presence that we previously could only dream
    about.
  13. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I live in San Diego, run the coast from Mexico to Alaska and spend time in Pacific Northwest waters. I've also done the entire Atlantic IntraCoastal Waterway, and most of the Gulf Intra Coastal. You're right that there isn't the level of participation on this coast, but then just about nothing changes here. No one has to report shoaling, obstructions, change in marina ownership, or upgraded showers, because it almost never happens (OK; the Delta). I haven't done the Atlantic ICW for about 2 years, and if I didn't have Active Captain then, I would probably still be aground in Georgia. Although the participation isn't high on the West Coast, there's enough information in Active Captain where I would be perfectly comfortable going harbor to harbor without a paper guide or the Marina list that is published once a year in The Log (free semi-monthly boater's newspaper)
    There are many reasons for the low-level of contributions on this coast, but I have found the info that is there accurate and useful, like the cautions and tips concerning entering Ventura Harbor, and phone numbers for every marina with reviews in there, as well as other harbors heading down the coast from the PNW. Oh! Everything you need for that area, as well.
    As for plagiarism, I don't think Jeff and Karen have much control over that until after the fact. Once brought to their attention, they would certainly take appropriate action. Maybe with Garmin and deeper pockets, they can assign people to Google distinctive phrases and context and catch it before being posted.
  14. olderboater

It was.