Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Fuel burn rate for a Manhattan 74?

Discussion in 'Sunseeker Yacht' started by FastWalker, Mar 18, 2015.

1. FastWalker

FastWalker New Member

Hi to all.

I've noticed the prices for the 74 Manhattan from 1999 to 2002 have dropped like crazy the last year and we are contemplating one as a liveaboard for my wife and I.

Dockage is lined up,have a great idea of costs as have been boating for 30 years,and the price of said boat is similar to a one bedroom 600 sq. ft apartment in my area.

Not concerned so much with the burn rate,as we'd only use it maybe 50-70 hours a year but we'd be going to remote areas where fuel is hard to come by and would run at lower speeds.
    The idea is to plunk it in a remote cove for a couple days or weeks,and use the PWC and dinghy for local exploration and fishing,then move a little bit. Or not. Enjoy life.

I've run my 50' er at low speeds for years with no ill effects, by speeding up a little every now and then to build some heat. Hoping the MANS would be fine with that.

Anyways I'm thinking it may use 50-60 litres or 12-15 US gallons an hour at 8 knots or 14 kmh or so,is this in about the range?
    So with 5000 litres in tankage I may be able to go 700-800 miles/ 1400 kms? That would be lots of extra range.

Thanks much in advance for any ideas or assistance.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, you're burn rate is about right for that speed. 12-15 gph at 8 knots....might even be a little low. I'd say at 10 knots you're probably around 15 gph.
  3. FastWalker

FastWalker New Member

Thanks for the info Capt J.
    That's better than I was hoping for,was basing my ideas on that I recalled reading an 80' with Cats 3412 was about .5 mpg at about 8 knots, and hoping the smaller size with the MANs would be a bit better.
    So DTE would be about 1500km hopefully-that's LOTS.

Thanks again.