Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Abeking

FLIBS 2017

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by AMG, Oct 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I was in meetings throughout the show, leaving me little time to go aboard boats or see the latest products.

1. Smaller stabilization units coming from SeeKeeper for 25 to 35 foot range. Do we really need to lug around 350lbs of dead weight, plus a 250lbs generator to keep our drinks from spilling?

2. 500 hp counter rotating outboard from Suzuki, which might give this 4-stroke the punch of a 2-stroke. Bigger outboards are coming from the big 3. Transoms are trembling in fear.

3. SeaRay, Pursuit and others are building outboard powered express yachts now. Outboards are replacing inboards as preferred power by consumers (really, no surprise).

The new opening day was quiet. Just industry, media and boat show models. Thursday to Sunday was busy and it appeared there were capable buyers in the mix if you measure the disproportionate number of old guys with young girls.

To be honest, I was dreading the traffic! The population has outgrown the infrastructure. The same can be said about FLIBS. The show should be broken up into several smaller, sector focused venues.

Probably the most overheard conversation on shuttles is the price of everything. This industry is pricing themselves right out of a market! Center consoles shouldn't cost as much as a house. And outboards shouldn't cost more than an Accord.

Yes! Burger is bucking the bigger is better trend and building a high-end 48 hardtop express cruiser...

http://burgerboat.com/custom/new/burger_511

***​
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

1. Because of cost and ability to handle, there are more people option for cruisers in the 35' and below range. They're not just using these as day boats. All the tug brands are examples and doing very well. They already all have generators. So, if a Seakeeper makes them more comfortable, makes their spouse happier with boating, then it makes sense. Personally, I think many in that situation would benefit by looking at other solutions such as Vector Fins.

3. Bigger outboards and more outboards work together. Sea Ray and others have tried the outboard cruiser before and to very little success, but a lot of things in the market are too early the first time and very successful the second. Outboards now have the power to replace I/O's especially. I/O's may be on the way toward becoming a dying breed. Even with price you mention below, outboard solutions are much less expensive than I/O.

I doubt there's ever been a show where price wasn't a big topic. It would be interesting to see what the real change is.

Does Burger actually have the 48' in build or is it just a design?
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

One of the most promising things I saw was the new flat-panel VSat array from Kymeta. I think it will be a game changer.

I was also lucky enough to have a tour of Vanish yesterday- one of the most spectacular boats I've ever seen.
  4. YachtForums

Not sure. Brochures and a dedicated website are in place. I think it's an overlooked market in the US. A few builders from the Netherlands have had success in this segment. If building a series of these boats keeps the gears oiled between big builds, it could be a nice niche. Betting these boats would hold their value well. Maybe even become collectable.
  5. YachtForums

A post was just made in the Westport forum about updates to their line. I forgot about this in my post this morning. Further proof that I shouldn't get behind a keyboard before coffee. Here's the post...

6. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Was talking to Burger last week and they have are building a new 48 ' now and they are going to splash the new
    Northland 103' this Wednesday and she should be down the Welland Canal last week off November.
  7. olderboater

That is great news, Rodger. I'm not a customer but sure cheering for their success. We did charter a Burger when we were in the decision making mode. While we couldn't live with it's speed (one of their slower boats) everything about that boat was extremely nice.
  8. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

The Cox 300 hp diesel outboard promised for "this time next year" could be interesting but expensive.
  9. olderboater

And what do we think they'll be promising this time next year?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not all burgers are slow, they have and do build some that get up and run too.

I think the Suzuki 500 HP will be a game changer as Mercury just got to 400hp and Yamaha has been lagging at 350HP, but the Suzuki is pushing a lot closer to the seven marine.
  11. olderboater

No, just that one was.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I was told by a Suzki rep that you'll see a 450hp released to the public, but it will be a little while before they release the 500hp to the public.
  13. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Burger has produced only one purpose built "high speed" yacht to my knowledge, the 31 meter "To-Kalon" fabricated in aluminum Alustar and lightweight furnishings to a Donald Blount design. I believe she topped out right under 30 knots. While a lot of the older flush deck Sparkman Stevens designed Burger yachts were good 20 knot vessels they were narrow beam and not purpose built for speed. The majority of all the modern in house designed O'Keefe Burgers are 15 - 18 knot boats.
  14. olderboater

Some medium speeds. The one we were on was a slow one. Top Times was 14 knots WOT and 12 knots cruise and those numbers may be stretching it just a little depending on load. To-Kalon cruised about 23 knots. WOT was stated at 27.
  15. YachtForums

Exert from a YF review of To-Kalon...

http://www.yachtforums.com/review/burger-101-to-kalon.10747/

Attached Files:

16. olderboater

Following up on the "Test". Did it work? Those other than Rodger can ignore my question.
  17. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

I hope to be back for the next FLIBS with full coverage! Before, during, after shots along with peppered commentary! Now that you have it in writing I guess I will have to perform God willing and the Intracoastal don't not rise!:):) Hi Carl, Hi Judy, Hi Tom, I miss you all!!!
  18. discokachina

Carl, what a stunning shot! If I did not know better I would say that CB was actually moving North. Fantastic illusion! Tom, eat your heart out:)
  19. discokachina

This boat is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Perfect for warm climates!! Florida and the Bahamas; watch out, here we come!!

http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=en&langpair=sv|en&u=http://www.deltapowerboats.se/60-open/

Hold on to your caps and hairpieces! Wind in your hair and sunshine abounds!!! 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Blast Off!

Congratulations Lars! Another perfect winner!!
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep; Congratulations Lars! Another perfect winner!!

That was hot.