Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Exercise de style

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by SVDesign, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Stunning designs and a fertile mind for sure.

(Drinking some high octane coffee in the evenings are we? :D )

Hat of to thinking out of the box: Now how about some radical
    sailing yachts for us real sailors? ;)

Would be interesting to see how you can improve on 1000 years worth of evolution and still make a stylish and functional vessel different from todays best?

Also like the name of each of your designs, they seem to "fit".

(Being married to an artist I am often being asked to help with a proper name or title for a painting and my head usually hurts trying to be clever and come up with the right thing...Usually I don't..:rolleyes: )
  2. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

This is more or less a 60-m day-boat... Nothing to do on-board except going fast ! It is really a racer, if we forget 2 cabins and small wardroom at lower deck.

For technical issues, there is no problem to build it. I elaborated the hull taking into consideration remarks from experiences people around me, and wetted surface distribution, deadrise angle and LCG have been carefully studied to ensure expected top speed.
    Composites and aluminium engineering are now mature, and propulsion set is available on the market.
    It is just politically un-correct to present this kind of rocket today :p

When looking at Wally 118, I was surprised to see no radar or antenna.
    It looks a little bit Kamikaze to go so fast with no nav. radar. That' s the little conical radome on top of wheelhouse.
    I'm trying also to integrate retractable headlights and/or search lights, for same reasons, but I'm still not happy with the look. It will come.. soon...

On main deck there is only a big wheelhouse, then 2 corridors each side to go to deck saloon, with windows hidden behind the grids.

Perfect to cruise between Napoli and Capri, or around Miami, or around Abu Dhabi deliriums (deliria, should we say...).

I'm turning around sailing boats for a long time, having several sketches in my pocket and sometimes sailing as RC model. It is my first love, and I will come back one day with renders - don't worry about it !

Not a single drop of coffee behind it - only clear water, fruit juice and open mind, supported by a wide maritime culture (from archeology ages up to latest naval gadgets). Sorry to disappoint you on this subject :eek:
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

4. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

****ed !!! Now you know who are experienced guys around me...:D

But Super-S hull is 100% original. I cannot use this BR hull family out of CMN field.

I will look for Wally118 radar - I'm really curious to see where it can be located.
  5. SAB

SAB New Member

.. hmmm, maybe a little less bow wake and a bit more in the stern?
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Clear water and fruit juice...?

Surely we have a Fata Morgana here: Never seen a Frenchman without his nose into a cup of strong coffe or a glass of red wine.

Just like you have never seen a redneck without his Budweisser, a Swede without his Lingonberries, or uh, a Norwegian without his Lutefisk. :eek:

If true Mr. SVDesign, hey make some coffe and cook up a newbie Sailing Machine for us real yachtsmen. :D

Hmm, Not disappointed but uh, did anything Maritime French happen before or after Cousteau? :D

(I kid, I kid..Disregard)
  7. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Do you prefer her blue and white suit ?
    With long hull like this one, the interest is that we have plenty of space for sponsors... We need plenty of sponsors.....!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Norseman : come and visit France, you would be surprised.... ;)

You will find some sailing creations in another post :
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-renderings-plans-214/
    They are a bit old by now, but I put interesting ideas in before it came on real ships.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye Mr. SV Design, I go to France quite often, mostly Paris and I am always surprised how tasty the food is: You guys take your eating seriosuly and I am also surprised there is not more fat people.

Have not been to the ocean side since I sailed on Marseille in the 70s when I was a young pup.

Roger on your sailboat design, probably fast and high tech, but not as radical as your power boat designs on this thread.:eek:

Looking forward to more...Bon Apetite..:D
  9. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Paris is only a small, minuscule part of France, and people there are Parisiens more than French.... :p I enjoy a glass of good wine sometimes, but once a month is my average for alcohol. I don't appreciate more..
    I'm also a good chief behind a cooker - only natural products, and you can eat as much as you want with no consequence for your light displacement....:D

I'm working on a 9.00m sailing boat project by now, for my family. If you had a look to my "sailing" pages, you should have seen Pasiphae and a small part of our story, sailing with family during 5 years after 12 years ship building. Sailing is my second nature, honnestly speaking, and you're right to kick me in the a... to design something with sails. I will do - I must do !
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Hmm, I wish you were my wife..She is into the wine bottle every day and it gets expensive..Cutting into my beer budget it is..:D

Aye, I know..back in 2005 I was hanging out in a little town in the Champagne district, I think it was Chalon, a couple of hours drive from Paris..Enjoyed my time there, but I was working..Nice place and uh, good food.;)

Good man, I am waiting for the next radical design then, but with sails. ;)

In the meantime I will go and look at your sailing pages.
  11. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay, the pictures talked to me, but to make sure: Is this plywood over oak frames, or is it a "cold-molded" kind of construction with epoxy or fiberglass/epoxy over the wood/plywood?

Either way, looks like a serious cruising boat.

I am no math geniuous, but uh, it took ya 12 years to build this boat, you cruised for 5 years, AND your profile says you are 31 years old?

If you came back from the cruise yesterday, you started building the boat while your were 14 years old, and uh, you already had a young family going?

Hat of to you Sir..Start early, retire early....:D

Back in the 80s I lived on and sailed a wooden boat in the Caribe for 3 years:
    A 44' Bermuda designed by Bill Trip Jr.
    Double-planked mahogeny, teak decks, bronze centerboard, First alu mast on a sailboat . (1956)
    Her name was Katingo. She won the 1957 Newport to Bermuda race and when I got her in 1985 she was the fastest mono-hull sailboat in the Caribe:

I saw 10.5 knots in a good breeze, previous owner said he saw 12..

A beatiful and fast ride she was.
    Never sailed in my life before I bought the boat and people thought I was some kind of nut case. (They was right :D )

Best years of my life.
  13. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

:)
    I'm from 1977, and the ship has been launched in 1981. At 3 years-old, I was painting the bottom of the ship with my father, then I was on deck for launching, and at 8 I was keeping the watch alone at the helm. I discovered school at 10...:confused: :eek:
    Pasiphae was a sister-ship of famous Pen Duick III (my father worked with E.Tabarly), with a small change on keel shape for $$$ reasons, and a little more heigth under deck for accomodation.
    Best average we did was 14kts / 24h, with top speed at 16kts. Common cruise speed was 10-11kts.
    She was made of plywood, with a fiberglass layer over it, which we removed 1 year after launching because of humidity trapped between stratification and wood. It was better without finally, letting the wood breathing. We keep the ship until 1995, and she was really like a member of the family.
    Should give you little indications :p
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And I thought my father was a taskmaster. I was at leisure until 6.:D That's a beautiful boat and a beautiful story. I could feel the tear in your eye as you wrote: "We keep the ship until 1995, and she was really like a member of the family". I once tried to explain that relationship to the owner I've been captaining for these past 5 years, but you could see it just roll off...until recently. He's put his second boat up for sale now and plans to get out of boating (wife's idea). You can see in his eye that he knows he's losing a friend in that boat.
  15. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Pasiphae did not survive long after our separation : 5 years after, she was scrapped and burnt.... Her second owner did not make the minimum of maintenance, and abandonned the ship after 2 years. She became a squat in an insane commercial harbour, then finally laid-up and burn by harbour authorities. Really heart-breaking....
    I promised myself that I would never sell a ship. I would rather sink her that sell her, so she would die like a ship and not like a garbage.
    People sometimes don't understand my opinion.....
  16. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I made a new colouring homework, for an italian friend.
    Looks nice also under this green/white/red livrée :)

Attached Files:

17. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That livery makes it look like a tennis shoe, maybe something from Dsquared or Dolce & Gabbana.
  18. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Red and green stripes were Lancia racing paints, in 1980's
  19. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Latest render of my blue shoe ! I will probably not produce new ones - new concept on the air coming....

Attached Files:

20. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.