Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Elling E4 Capsize Test is Live!

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by YachtForums, Mar 31, 2014.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Elling E4 Capsize Test is Live!

On March 29th, 2014, Neptune Marine conducted a 360 Rollover Capsize Test on a standard,
    Factory fitted Elling E4 while the Director of the yard, Anton van den Bos, was inside the boat.​

Neptune Marine shipbuilding is the designer and builder of the CE category “A” Elling Motor Yachts. Elling's vessels are one of the very few motor yachts that carry the prestigious CE Category A rating, which was proven in 2008 when three Elling E4’s successfully crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a 16 day, 2600 nautical mile nonstop journey.

On the 29th of March 2014, at Neptune's yard in Holland, a completely standard, factory fitted Elling E4 production vessel was subjected to a 360 degree rollover test; carried out in front of 500 spectators. The Elling E4 did not have any special adaptions in order to conduct the test. It was a completely standard vessel which has been built for a Scandinavian customer and fitted with standard options and equipment, such as sliding roof Navigation equipment, 7 kW generator, central heating, washing machine, dishwasher, electric toilets, TV and all furniture in place. The only parts that were removed are some loose fitting floor hatches.

After the capsize test, Anton van den Bos started the 425 hp Cummins Diesel engine and completed a demo ride, in front of the public. To see the video of the event, follow this link...

Attached Files:

2. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Came across this review of the E3 model which is famous as the boat you can capsize and live to tell about it!

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'd turn down the volume to avoid the Euro-fluff, cue card commentary. That said, Elling builds an impressive 'boat' for the money. I took some flack for covering this boat because a couple of elitist types didn't think it was a yacht; therefore it didn't qualify for a YF review. We covered this boat because it's not only affordable, but it's built like a small ship. Not every reader on YF is billionaire, so to those special people who wasted an entire click... :p
  4. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Is it self righting or was the crane giving it help?
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

LOL It almost sounds like an automated text-to-speech program running...
  6. SFS

SFS Senior Member

It really does. It's inconsistent in the way it handles inflections, contractions, subtleties like hard "t" sound, the "i" in "ious" endings, etc. I had to turn it off.
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

The crane was only used to create the turn-over. I was there and saw that this yacht really did self-right. This was a ready to deliver to owner vessel with the only modifications made for the rollover were removal of floor hatches and the postponement of deck rail installation. Not only did the E4 self-right, but the engine started right up and Anton, the Elling builder, took her for a spin to the applause of the crowds which was largely comprised of Elling owners.

Judy
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's a great exhibition or gimmick depending on how you look at it. Unfortunately, to take advantage of it and the showmanship and ability of the boat to do that would require far more money spent on marketing than Elling does. By contrast the "Unsinkable Boston Whaler." That was promoted every possible way. If you were a boater or boat enthusiast you couldn't miss it. It sold a lot of boats and led them to where they are.

You can build a better mousetrap, but if you can't market it then it doesn't matter very much. Marketing a relatively low volume boat is difficult. You need to spend many times what sales volume justifies.
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Olderboater - you are so right. Elling has tried to make an entry in the US at a few different times over the years. The boats are well built, nicely executed, and offer a superior standard of quality at a great price. But, marketing missteps and shortsightedness has been costly at each entry. A continual presence with a dealer demo at major East Coast boat shows and great builder support would do wonders towards assuring marketing success. I was beyond disappointed to see that a dealer buying 2 boats in a small geographic market demanding exclusivity would offset the momentum that had been building with the East Coast presence. It doesn't diminish the vessel, but sure limits the exposure.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That's the shame is when they find the sale of two boats to be significant and justify making such a deal. But that's where size comes into play. If the dream was to establish a real presence, you'd insist on something more like 10 boats ordered just for the Southeast. And you wouldn't discount the boats excessively but you'd agree to a very generous co-op advertising plan.

Unfortunately so many builders of moderately sized boats are under-capitalized or have owners unwilling to spend, so we see many examples. Look at Grand Banks getting excited over sales of a couple of boats when they could have the US blanketed with boats. Someone like Van Dutch can't even find a builder to stick with. Bering flounders. For some builders like Fleming, low volume is the way, but most need more. And for all those who blame their lack of penetration in the mid sized market on the market itself, then maybe they should just look at the volume Sea Ray is doing with the L Series in such a short time. With aggressive marketing and some speculative building, I could see Elling almost developing a cult following based on the "Boat that rights itself" but as it is, they unfortunately are just a small footnote. Now, with all the hoopla, you go to their website and find only one agent in the US, Heritage in Long Beach, and they have one boat in inventory. One.
  11. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

I wonder if a pod wouldn't be a better selection for running gear.

I expect the engine started right up because it wasn't running when it rolled over, mental note, do a shutdown before you capsize.
  12. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I just went on the E4 at the San Diego boat show and it was a pretty impressive vessel especially after watching that video.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

MLBs are running when they roll. Scary thought that the sump is dry for a few seconds.
    Think newer MLBs are using Cummins.