Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Elco 53 boat

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Tranquilein53, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tranquilein53

Tranquilein53 New Member

Hello guys: I have a friend that owns a Elco 53ft that I believe is been cold molded. Can that boat be haul out with a regular travel lift with slings? And what will be the anount of "safe" days that could be out of the water before planks starts shrinking? Thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If really cold moulded, drying isn't an issue as there are no planks. The wood is basically just like a core or cloth

Now if planked then yes you will need to let the wood swell upon launch.

Completely different constructions. Words like "I believe" are pretty scary when asking for free internet advice
  3. Tranquilein53

Tranquilein53 New Member

Hello Pascal: that's what his been told that she was "cold molded" the hull outside looks really "sleek " you can't tell is a wooden boat. Does she need a special haul out? Thanks
  4. Tranquilein53

Tranquilein53 New Member

ps: I'm pretty sure you helped me a lot when I used to own my Hatteras 43DC 1974 a few years ago
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Properly executed, a "cold molded" sheathing over the original antique wooden hull should make her fair, dry and quite stiff. A travel lift haulout should not be a problem. It would, however be important to know her true structural condition before proceeding. If what's under the "cold mold" application is stucturally compromised then disaster could be just around the corner. As always - YMMV.
  6. Tranquilein53

Tranquilein53 New Member

Thanks, I will let him know to investigate this more.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where is the boat getting hauled? A better yard will go aboard and check these items out.
  8. riptidecrew1939

riptidecrew1939 New Member

Where is the Elco located? I have the same model in Washington state.