Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay

East Coast USA.. Your favorite transient stops???

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by CTdave, May 13, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I noticed that on a recent trip up the ICW. From Bueafort, NC to Norfolk. A lot of the boats were a lot slower and had to stop more times in between in the not too distant past. I've stayed at all of those stops on 1 trip or another, but a lot of the boats have the speed that I can do Norfolk to Beaufort in one day, or VERY close to it. Heck some yachts I run, I could do Beaufort (including the almost hour of slow Adam's Creek) and all of the way to Coinjock in 4 hours or less. Also the recent raising of the height of most all of the bridges from Coinjock to Norfolk has also sped up the process.

Oriental, NC seems to be doing ok, but Bellhavn seems pretty slow (I stopped there for the first time in over a decade on this trip, but left from Wrightsville Beach, NC). The one marina in Coinjock is doing well, but there used to be 3 others that did well, 2 are closed and 1 is in shambles and barely open for business. etc. etc. Great Bridge Marina does well, but seems from their covered slips and service yard, not so much from transients.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

FREE STUFF

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but in all these years I still have trouble finding the Thread Starter. The Mods should feel free to move this to wherever they feel it fits best.

After almost 60 years on the water, about 28 as a professional independent captain, I retired about a year ago. It's time to clean out my closet, and I was wondering if anybody would like some free stuff. Chart kits and cruising guides for pretty much the entire east coast, a Garmin 176C handheld GPS with charts for most of the east coast, Nav rules and maybe some other stuff.
    It's not the latest editions, but they've served me well right up to my last gig. So I figure it could be useful to someone.
    If you're in the Long Island NY area come by and pick them up. Otherwise I'd just ask you to cover the postage.

NYCAP
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd be happy to take the Garmin 176 C and could put it to use if it is still available and would be more than happy to cover postage.
  4. jkotler

jkotler New Member

I'm on long Island and would like to see what you have available, where are you located?
  5. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Can I resume the thread again? I will be making the trip from Ontario to Ft Myers FL, and am trying to plan my stops. First, (and probably last) time doing this, as we are relocating. I would be interested in current recommendations on where to stop, eat, fuel etc. I make about 16 knots at cruise, so some of the legs mentioned might be a little tough for me to make in a day.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

How long do you want to spend on this trip?
  7. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

I am planning about 3 weeks +/-
  8. olderboater

Then pretty much a delivery trip, no sightseeing. I assume you're starting in Rochester?
  9. olderboater

I'd probably do something like this but there are many variations.

Day-Destination
    1-Oswego
    2-Brewerton
    3-Utica
    4-St. Johnsville
    5-Schenectady
    6-Connelly
    7-Jersey City
    8-Atlantic City
    9-Cape May
    10-Ocean City
    11-Cape Charles
    12-Portsmouth
    or Alternate for 10-12
    10-Chesapeake City
    11-Annapolis
    12-Portsmouth
    13-Bellhaven
    14-Beaufort
    15-Southport
    16-Georgetown
    17- Charleston
    18-Hilton Head
    19-St. Augustine
    20-Canaveral
    21-Stuart
    22-Moore Haven
    23-Ft. Myers

I'd suggest doing mapping based on your comfort in length of days. Days should be pretty long by the time you do this as it will have to be May at earliest. You should plan for some cold days along the Erie. You'll see some nights in the 30's if you do it in May and may see some days it doesn't get above the low 50's.

You can switch stops and if you're lucky on the Erie may make better time, all dependent on locks, but may move slower too.

Now, I'd allow at least an extra week as you could encounter some rough seas that give you weather delays along the way. A shame to be covering such a nice area and having to do it so quickly, but that's sometimes how things are.

I assumed running outside along the coast except giving the option on the Delaware and Chesapeake and then the Virginia Cut south from Portsmouth. If you couldn't run outside off New Jersey or you couldn't from Beaufort, NC south, you may add a few days. In Georgia you'd have to be very aware of timing with the tides. If you ran inside all the trip, then I'd see adding 3 to 4 days.
  10. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Thanks for the valuable input. Planning to run outside as much as possible; inside if weather or seas are inclement, but the bridge/aft deck are enclosed and climate controlled, so temps shouldn't be an issue. I have the flexibility to add the 3-4 days if needed, but was hoping to have the time to spend a day or 2 in some of the nicer ports. I love Annapolis, so would like to do Delaware/Chesapeake. Plus I'm assuming it would be a little more forgiving in terms of sea conditions.

We will be leaving from Sodus Bay, and are self-contained, so can stay on the sea wall in the canals if needed. I'm figuring about 140-160 NM a day, is that realistic? Also not sure about speed restrictions running inside. I know on the Erie most of it is no wake, so 5 knots.

Also want to run inside to avoid Cape Hatteras. Where would I put in, and where could I start to run outside again?

Also curious about the comment about the tides in Georgia--is that because of current, or depth?
  11. olderboater

You run inside from the Chesapeake to Beaufort to avoid Hatteras outside. Most of the time then one goes back out from Beaufort down to Southport.

Yes, Georgia is because of both depth and the extreme tides, in excess of 8'. NC and SC have done a better job of ICW maintenance when Fed money didn't come than GA.

Well, 160 nm a day isn't realistic for the canals as you have speed zones, both 5 mph and 10 mph and you have quite a few locks on the Oswego and Erie. Once beyond the Hudson, then 160 nm a day is realistic if you cruise at 16 knots. Just very long days when you do it day after day with no breaks. Is it just you at the helm or someone else to share helm time? Guess that brings the question of crew with you, even if only for company and food and to allow you to go to the bathroom.

I know it may be impossible but if you could take six weeks instead of three then you have a day at most stops. I also don't know how much you've cruised this area but if it was an area I didn't see returning to or at least not soon and if I could arrange to do so, I'd do half of it in 3 weeks and then return when I could to complete it. Park the boat and fly home and then back. Again, I may be suggesting things that are not possible, but when you're already in an area, hate to waste being there by not having the ability to see anything.
  12. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Have never done this route before, but have a drop dead arrival date as I have to start a new job. I know the canals and Hudson well enough, but the rest will be new. For the most part just me at the helm. I have autopilot, and crew to stand watch, but when it gets busy or for docking, it's just me.

I regret not being able to take more time and REALLY enjoy the journey, but trying to do the best I can within my constraints, not the least of which is expense
  13. olderboater

My only advice then is not to let the Calendar get you in trouble. That means if conditions are such that you feel they're unsafe, you stop and sit, however long. Even if it means you have to use weekends to run it the rest of the way.
  14. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Understood, and thank you. That said, any port that are must-sees? Any marina/restaurant recommendations?
  15. Just Cruisin

Just Cruisin Member

I might be able of offer up some choice as I brought a boat up from Charleston to Baltimore last year. Also spoke to several captains and skippers that made some runs. Going down, guessing you can make Waterford to Liberty Landing in one day. Liberty Landing to Cape May in a day. Lobster House for good food - Utsch's / South Jersey and Canyon Club all good places to stay. You can make Annapolis in a day from Cape May as most of the run is non restricted for speed. Annapolis City Dock / Pusser's Landing / Yacht Basin or Annapolis City Marina all good. Restaurant's - take you pick of several.
    Running down the Chesapeake, you can make the "Norfolk area" in a day. If the weather is good and you have time, you might want to split the run into two days. Several nice towns and marina's in the Chesapeake.
    You might want to plan on Norfolk to Coinjock for one day as it is slow going thru Norfolk to the Great Bridge. From the Great Bridge to Coinjock, it can be slow. You have to slow to pass boats as well as take your time to make sure you stay in the channel in that area. Coinjock has one of the best restaurant's as well at the marina. Make a reservation in advance at both as it fills up.
    You can make Beaufort, NC from Coinjock in a day if the weather is good. If the weather is good, you might consider running the Pamlico Sound vrs the Alligator River. The last 15 miles down to Beaufort is almost all no wake. Some good restaurants in Beaufort. If you can't make Beaufort, Bellhaven or Oriental are good stops.
    When you are running inside, you have to plan to continually slow down to pass so you can not make great time.
    If you have good weather, you can easily run from Beaufort to Masonboro Inlet outside in one day. Stay at either Seapath or Wrightsville Beach Marina. Southport is approx another hour south. If you have to run inside you can still make Wrightsville Beach from Beaufort but it will be a very long day.
    You can run from Cape Fear Inlet to Charleston in a day on the outside. Stay at the City Marina and ask for restaurant suggestions as there are several a short taxi ride away. The restaurant at the marina is good as well.
    If you have to run inside, you are going to have to allow two days from Cape Fear to Charleston. You might want to stay in the Myrtle Beach area but try to run at high tide.
    Charleston to Hilton Head is another day run. Harbor Town Marina.
    Like I said earlier, if you have to run inside, it will be slow going and you can't expect to run on plane all the time. you won't make as good miles as you think you can. You have to pay attention to stay in the channel and run slow when you are not sure of channel. You will also have to slow down constantly to pass boats and near towns and marinas.
    Where do you keep you boat in Sodus as I might get up there this summer?
  16. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Great information all--thank you! I keep my boat at Katlynn Marine. Town is a short walk, with at least one decent restaurant, Captain Jacks. Not much else going on there...
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

16kts is drawing some fuel. Slower over night runs could save some time.
    I don't think you will have a draft problem going thru Lake Okcechobie.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lake okeechobee is very very high right now. No issues, I took a boat across a few weekends ago and that is how I would go. Should be able to make Clewiston (Roland Martins Marina) from Ft. Myers if you're off the dock at 8am, I did it in a 20 knot boat, including fueling 40 gallons, with a 11 am start. Locks are open 7am-5pm right now. This is the route I'd take with a 16 knot boat.
  19. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Sounds good, and is how I had hoped to get there. Was worried about bridge clearance, but from what I could find, my (22'10") clearance shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input! I know I will use more fuel, but time is of the essence....
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No issues there either. You can get under most of the draw bridges with your clearance. I think you'll only have to open Fort Denaud swing bridge and Roosevelt causeway. The others were around 25' if I remember correctly.