Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

Donzi quality comments solicited

Discussion in 'Donzi/Roscioli Yacht' started by migg48, Feb 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. migg48

migg48 New Member

I've owned Bertram and Hatteras of various sizes for decades, and enjoyed them. I've always liked the look of the Donzis and wondered if anyone can share any personal experiences they've had with the boats and/or the company. I would be looking at a 73 or an 80. Thanks.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A friend of mine used to run a 65' in the late 1990's, he liked it, the boat was fast in it's time. I have always heard good things about them, but Roscioli won't let you do everything custom from what I've heard. In that size range, I'd rather have a Jim Smith. I worked on a 75' and it was a great boat, as was the customer service after the sale. I also think the looks are more modern on the Jim Smith. But, all in all, go with what you like in the looks department and performance.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

West Coast Use?

65'-80' Donzi cuts a beautiful profile on the water for sure. The few that I've been aboard were visually impressive inside and out. However, I see you're from Newport Beach. I'm not sure how well they match up to west coast use. Side deck access forward, bow rails, swim step, transom door etc. Nothing money can't fix I guess. But there were a couple other things that stood out. First, the access to the flybridge was laughable. The design of the ladder was probably the worst I've ever seen on a boat. Not far off from an aluminum extension ladder. Just fixed in place. And the opening through the roof was about 18" square. I can only assume it's to discourage guests from coming up to the bridge and bothering the captain. But that can be fixed. The biggest issue for me was forward visibility from the helm. It was awful. It is designed for east coast trolling/cockpit only fishing. You could not see the bow of the boat and you could not see the sky. West coast style fishing would be difficult. Of course most have towers but I wouldn't want to have to spend the whole day up there.
  4. migg48

migg48 New Member

Thanks for the info. I hope I get more. One comment for RER is that I agree that the open bridge version, and on one enclosed bridge that I looked at as well, has the helm so far aft you need a spotter. That is a poor design indeed. I'm interested in an enclosed bridge (helm forward) with an interior staircase. Side deck access is a potential issue, I agree. I guess it's always something. What I really want is a fairly quick, seaworthy and comfortable yachtfish. The 80 is something of a 'fishyacht' and looks nice. There are some good deals on these; Sonships right now as well, plus some older west coast boats. I just like the looks of the Donzi. Also, MTU engines are reliable, aren't they?
  5. Manny

Manny Senior Member

The reason the helm is so far aft is because of the size of the flybridge, and this size account is due to the design of the superstructure, purposely built this way in order to make the engineroom house massive engines and yet still be spacious, with a huge salon as a bonus. Sure, this makes visibility in the flybridge a bit troublesome with the helm so far aft, but the designer didn't want to sacrifice the cockpit visibility crucial for fishing; after all, Donzi's are built for tournament fishing, so that's top on Roscioli's priority list. However they did try to fix this by adding a step that raises your view by 1ft.

As for my personal opinion and experience on Donzi's: I love them. I don't own a Donzi(at least not yet), but my best friend does, so I have experienced everything a Donzi is capable of first hand. like you, I've also owned Bertrams (including the 54'), and I think the Donzi's ride(at least the 65') is, if not equal, better than the 54' Bertram. I was with my friend on his 65' in 6 ft swells in head sea once, and I'm being completely honest when I say that we never once got drenched. Roscioli builds all his boats "overbuilt" with a 4 inch thick hull capable of surviving virtually anything. Speed is also a plus to Donzi. A 73' Donzi with MTU engines is practially a rocket ship, even the 80' with the same engines can go 40 knots. maneuverability is incredibly as well, being able to take sharp turns in an instant on its own wake. Fishability is amazing. The captain on my friend's 65' has even told me that he has no idea what that boat has that attracts more fish than most other boats.

All these reasons are why I also want a Donzi, besides the beautiful, classic lines that go with it. I sure hope I can get another chance at buying one.:)
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I have not issues whatsoever in seeing the bow while driving "my" 65 Donzi. Going from the cockpit to the bow is not an issue either-m the grab rails are easy to find/hold onto. There are no "steps" or chines like Bertram has on the bow to cause you to lose your footing, and with a bow rail you feel safe. My boat has a center ladder, which is a much better choice than climbing up the "steps" of either corner IMHO. I love the ride in any sea. While my boat is for sale- I certainly hope my owner buys another Donzi. No one save Sea Force IX makes a boat with the same capacities (if they made a 65/73 footer) in having a a huge flybridge, large cockpit and salon. I've had up to 23 folks on the bridge comfortably. I think the quality of the build is superior also.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Was that at the dock or underway?
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

As I said I think the boats are impressive. My comments were specific to west coast use. We look forward on the surface of the water for billfish, and foward in the sky for bird activity. Both would be difficult on the Donzi. Also we run up the side deck to cast live bait on billfish, often at high speed with a rod in hand.
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

At the dock. :)
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Yep west coast fishing style creates it's own conditions that are hard to fulfill on a east coast style boat regardless of who builds it.