Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Discussion: Trinity Yachts 122' Sportfish "Mary P"

Discussion in 'Trinity Yacht' started by PropBet, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Here's a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Reverse Trolling G & S.jpg

Link about Stewart Campbell's unfinished boat.

Stewart Campbell's Boat

GOOGLE returns for sportfishing boats that plane in reverse.

Google
  2. kapnd

kapnd New Member

While I am not impressed by the gross overstatement of a 122' sportfisher, I was intrigued by the Mary P's stabilizer system, first of its type I ever heard about.
    The question is, does it work? Quantum's website doesn't have any info, I would think they would be blowing their horn about such innovation!
    Most of the world's commercial fish boats and a good number of pleasureboats operate in displacement speeds, and drag "fish" off the riggers with at least a one knot penalty for the stabilization.
    If these Magnus effect things work as advertised, commercial fishermen might save tons of fuel, as well as cruisers and yachties of the go-slo type.
    Any info?
  3. 84far

84far Senior Member

Some light Reading ;)

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/16888-quantum-stabilizers.html

Far
  4. 84far

84far Senior Member

I would like to see a show of hands who backs down like this....?

And if your a decky on this boat, hope you have health care... may be useful.

Far
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Oh, puh-leaze.

With the continuing pussification, the wimping-down of what used to be manly pursuits in this modern age, maybe the American Sportsman furiously backing down on a worthy fish and getting absolutely soaked by sheets of cold saltwater in the cockpit of his WaveBuster 65 is amongst the last who live life large.

Back 'er down at 12 or 15, Billy--that's what magazine cover shots used to portray: the sturm & drang and rich pageantry of the fight.
  6. kapnd

kapnd New Member

84Far, thanks for the links, I always enjoy reading about new (to me, anyway) technologies.
    While the applications shown are applied to larger yachts, wouldnt it work just as well or maybe even better on smaller lighter boats?
    Why not straight down from the keel?

Loren Schweizer, As an avid sportfisherman, and one who takes the sport in a more ballsified fashion ie smaller, more maneuverable boats, I generally chase billfish in forward gear, not a trick that can be easily accomplished on a pussified boat that is longer than the distance of the baits to the rod tips!