Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Difference Between Exumas and Windward Island for Charter?

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Danvilletim, Nov 20, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

we have chartered in exumas the last three times and love it. I'd like to try something new but nervous to do so as its a lot of money.

I'm interested in hearing the difference. What are the highlights of the Windwards? Tips,on what to do and what to avoid?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I lived on st Barths for 15 years (80s/90s) and had a plane so flew to every single island

First, if you don't like crowds you re not going to be happy!! Every harbor is packed, every anchorage is crowded Go ashore, especially in season, and you ll rub elbows with thousand of people. To each his own but to me that's a deal killer.

Second you have to run in open waters and 6 to 8 footers between the islands

Where the carib wins is with shoreside activities like shopping, dining etc. but if that s what you re looking for then I d say rent a nice villa somewhere

With a boat you just can't beat the Exumas. The choice of anchorages, lack of crowds, protected waters is impossible to beat. And with so many anchorages, it would probably take a dozen week to see it all.

As a matter of fact, we heading back in a couple of weeks. It will be that these guests 5th exuma charter with us (and first on the 84 Lazzara we now run). while there are two stops they want to go back to, the other 5 will be new to them. Problem is that most charter boats follow the same boring itinerary (Nassau highborne wardrrick Staniel compass shroud) and miss the best spots

Most of our guests are repeat... in fact the 84 new owners are repeat Exumas guests who wanted a bigger boat with 5 staterooms.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's a matter of taste. We love both. I see those who hate the crowds of even Nassau and Staniel. Then I talk to a captain who says "They want to go to the lower Exumas. There is nothing to do there."

We like new places. We love the Exumas. We love the Virgin Islands. We love Fort Lauderdale. We love Apalachicola. Variety is the spice of life. You took a big leap from Exumas to Windwards. A lot of islands in between. Have you been to them? I would perhaps for my next charter, choose the next location geographically that interested me. Maybe even a combination. Maybe a week in the excitement and action of the Virgin Islands or St. Marteen followed by a week of recovery and relaxation in the Exumas.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well Exumas to the windwards also has a lot of open waters between islands, not really prime charter territory until you pass PR.

I think the stretch between Guadeloupe and the grenadines is very nice with tall volcanic islands and lots of protection behind. Les Saintes (between Guadeloupe and Dominica) is a nice little place worth a stop. Some of these islands like Martinique have a European flair that is different

Thinking about it some more, maybe you should look into starting in Martinique and heading south to at Lucia, stvincent and the grenadines. Nice blend of larger islands and smaller ones.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

In the Leewards and Windwards you have a huge choice of different islands. Busy and full of tourists to almost untouched and isolated like Dominica or Iles des Saintes.

There is a mix of cultures and foods, good diving and fishing. I've been sailing around there for over 30 years and still find new places and anchorages.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I really like St. Maartin and St. Barts and some of the surrounding islands. If you're stuck because of weather, there are tons of things to do. Also lots of other islands to see that are nice for a day.

I'm the Captain that dislikes South of Staniel Cay to Galliot Cut. There are a few beautiful areas, but it's just TOO SLOW. I'd like at least a decent restaurant for dinner and someone to talk to, but there isn't even that down there. It's like no mans land. No Marina's to speak of, nobody around, etc. Then further South, Rum, Conception, Great Exuma, Long Island, no drawing card there.

What about Harbour Island and the Abacos? The Abacos can be very nice and seems like everyone has forgotten about them.