Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Cruising recommendation other than the awesome Exuma

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Danvilletim, May 15, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I need to plan our next charter. Our last 3 trips have been to the exumas and we have loved all aspects of it on 80-90' crewed boats. And it's time to explore somewhere different. Ideally in Caribbean.

We love the remoteness, anchorages, little villages, short passages, etc.. Shopping and dinning a shore are not high on the list.

Suggestions?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Remoteness is no longer a word which applies to the Caribbean :(. Used to when I lived on St Barths in the 80s but these days are long gone. If you don't like crowds and sharing an anchorage with dozens of boats you re in for a disappointment.

Nevis, st kitts the west coast of Guadeloupe, Les sainted and Dominica are probably the most "remote" but stretch over 200 nm.

Have you done the southern Exumas? Most charters don't go beyond Staniel despite some fantastic spots between Staniel and Gtown You could easily spend two weeks there and not hit the same spot twice
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd just say, everywhere in the Bahamas you haven't been. Many don't spend much time in the Berry Islands. Further south, further east. There are so many hundreds of islands there will always be some you haven't seen.

While Key West doesn't sound like your kind of destination there are still quieter areas to explore, but going on to the Tortugas can be nice. Then up the west coast a bit.

We made our first trip to the Eastern Caribbean last year but we don't look for the remote anchorages so can't speak in that regard.
  4. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Not really looking for remote anchorages. That mix of big majors and tendering in for a walk on staniel is ideal. Actually I'd say 3-4 nights at highbourne, compass, harbor island is a good thing. Interesting ideas about finding other Bahamian waters. Maybe fly in somewhere other than Nassau. Last time we flew into north Eleuthera which allowed us to see a bit more.
  5. Bahma

Bahma Member

After 45 years of Exuma cruising, and enjoying every minute, I'm now located in the Abacos, where there are many beautiful islands, both inhabited and not.
    Personally, i find it difficult to say which is best. Although I fully agree with the function of the National Parks, that one in Exuma sure takes a great chunk of fishing grounds off the table,

The protected Sea of Abaco, provides safe, secure and comfortable boating in all types of weather

You can make the only foot steps on many beaches, or elsewhere be as social as you wish.

There are also many interesting and different restaurants from high end European/American style cooking, through to down right jolly good local food with fresh daily caught fish.

Same applies to anchorages of which there are many, together with marinas, each providing an intriguing individuality.

Walkers Cay in the North, Spanish Cay, which is further around the corner, a beautiful island with Customs and Immigration facilities and many many more barrier cays all the way to Little Harbour, a few miles south of Marsh Harbour, which is situated on Abaco island itself.

Being in close proximity to Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale, you are among the action within hours......a Web search will tell you all you need to know.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Given where you've been. I too would second the Abacos. Marsh Harbor, Guana, Green Turtle, Hope Town etc. Can fly right into Treasure Cay.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Highborne doesn't do it for me. Tried it once never went back. Same with the abacos. Not enough anchorages. Too many people

Harbor island is too crowded, no nice anchorages. Yuck.

Compass is nice but there is so much more to the Exumas than compass, Highborne, and Staniel

Fly into Gtown. Spend a full day there anchored off stocking by starfish beach. Trails to the sound side

15 nm to barraterre. Explore pigeon cay, the blow holes etc

2 nm to Lee stocking. Beaches, trails, etc. Leaf cay and the iguanas

10nm to rudder. Snorkel the mermaid and the piano. Check out the nearby cays.

10 nm to little farmer Lunch at TYs Beach Anchor by oven rock. Walk the trail to the cave Swim the cave. Nice beach on sound side

5nm to jacks bay cove. Great beach. Nice snorkeling along the rocks just north incl small cave

10nm to ignana beach on bitter Guana

15nm to staniel. Got to spend one day there each trip

10nm to the abandoned Royal Navy dock on pipe. Kind of spooky at night. Bonfire on small beach right behind boat Explore the BIG sandbar on back side where the billboard nr 1 hit song music video "timber" was shot

10 mm to the aquarium reef off little hall pond. Great beaches nearby. Tender to Sandy cay with spectacular rock formation, beach and sandbars

The list goes on... We ve had repeat guests coming back 3 or 4 times and still enjoy the Exumas Problem is that most charters lack imagination and do the same old nassau Highborne compass Staniel Warderick normans run

Yawn
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. Bahma

Bahma Member

I agree, Highbourn went south for me 20 30 years ago.....Shroud always a favourite and our first stop on our annual Exuma pilgrimage.

Apart from a couple of non stop trips through the northern Abaco cays, to and from Florida, I have, with exception of Spanish Cay done little exploration.
    Spanish is a delight...has it's own airstrip.....I guess they can accept charater flights.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We used to go to shroud almost every time but last summer the beach on the east side, at the end of the creek disappeared. Don't know if the sand came back over the winter. All our trips so far this years have between Gtown and Warderick