Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Cost to maintain a 2002 Hatteras 63 RPH motoryacht?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Max21, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Max21

Max21 New Member

what is the yearly cost to maintain a 2002 Hatteras 63 Raised Pilothouse Motor Yacht
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not including dockage or fuel. I would say $50-75k a year. $75k a year when you factor in the longterm expenses that need to be done and pop up from time to time....painting the exterior, major engine work, etc.
  3. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Captain j,

Not questioning your numbers but what is included that adds up to $75,000.00 if not including fuel and dockage ??
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Engine and generator maintanence/repairs $10-15k per year.
    General repairs on hull stuff and replacing broken systems or cushions, or strataglass, or exterior etc. or etc. $20k per year
    Annual bottom job $5k per year
    Exterior maintanence $10k per year (washdowns, polishing stainless, cleaning teak etc.)
    Diver and zincs $2-3k per year

Then you have to figure repainting the exterior every 10-12 years at $100k. Major engine work or a rebuild, etc.
  5. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

From experience with my own boat and knowing many other Hatteras and boats-in-that-size-range owners, I'd say Capt J has come up with a good budget to start with.

Which end of the range you are in depends on what condition the boat is in when you buy it, including the various systems, many of which are coming to or beyond the end of their service life at that age if they've never been replaced or updated. Then, it depends on your standards for for seaworthiness, creature comforts, and cosmetics. Then, it depends on where you have the work done and by who. If you can do a lot of the work yourself to your standards, that can save cash, but it depends on what value you put on your time and how much of it you have.

Using his budget, say the mid point even, (again, depending), if you don't use it up in a given year, put the excess in reserve, you'll spend it sooner or later.
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

It is certainly cheapest to carefully monitor the maintenance of a boat that is already in bristol condition. I am experiencing the first year of my Bertram 54 being in bristol condition since I purchased the boat in 2010. With a big boat, there are many things that can cost $15k-$30k to repair, replace, refurbish. A new rubrail for a boat of this size is a $10k+ job. You can keep your costs down by careful maintenance including treating all the metals with Woody's Wax or similar, monitoring fluid levels, zincs etc.