Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Cross

Copper headliner mesh 46' post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Matt46post, Oct 20, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

when i removed headliner there was a heavy copper mesh that covers the whole salon ceiling , I assume it's for grounding ? I had to pulll it out to run new lighting and clean behind it ,the boat yard and my upholstery shop said they had not seen one before and suggested I do not re install, it was a pain in the ass but I reinstalled it ,what is it for ? Lighting strikes?better for radio and electronics far out to se? It does have ground straps on it tha up into flybridge helm,not sure of the down to battery's , it might have been some of option in 1980 when they built the boat?
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Counterpoise for single side band radio.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Usually the bottom of a marine SSB antenna system is tied to the water thru the boats hardware or DynaBlock.
    The screen may be r f shielding for some reason.
    Ensuring the equipment on the bridge not interfering with the tv or radio below. Or protecting the bridge from below RFI/EMI.
  4. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for the info captholli, are they still Installed and needed in new boats and or with new radios? Should this copper mesh be grounded same as a battery?
  5. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you rcrapps, I wonder if they are put on all the posts in the 1980s
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Maybe a call to Worton Creek may offer something.
    Was your screen mounted with the same tude and hardware other under the deck items was installed with or looks like a different shop installed it?
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Composite vessels over 500 tons will still have a counterpoise mesh installed due to GMDSS . Steel and alloy vessels don't need counterpoise for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if new composite builders like Viking and such are still installing HF counterpoise as HF / SSB communication is a relic in this age of Satellite and near shore cell connections . Counterpoise is all about gaining surface area for an R.F. ground plane to help the SSB coupler or auto tuner at certain frequencies and to dissipate the RF ground so it doesn't induct radio freq. into other items aboard . If installed properly the mesh will be connected to a Dyna plate via a wide flat copper strap or two as a single round conductor like a #2/0 battery cable doesn't have enough surface area. Ralph, I've come across loaded trap antenna's that had a ground lug but a regular SSB antenna base wouldn't be grounded but the antenna would be connected to the auto coupler via a high voltage wire of GTO 15 . Unless your going to communicate with a HF base station or ship to ship via SSB than remove or ignore the copper mesh.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Your probably the 5th or 6th person to ask this about their Post that I have seen over the last few years on various forums. Therefore I believe it was a standard piece of the build at the time.
    But can't remember what the final conclusions were.
  9. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys, it was a lot of work to get it back in and cover the whole salon ceiling with a strap going into the helm , next time I go to my boat I'll have to see how and where the strap is attached
  10. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

I do have an SSB radio and the ground plane hardware as discussed in the forum. I use it every morning when I'm in the out islands of the Bahamas. USCG weather broadcasts and AM radio can be picked up all day. There is a Waterway Radio and Cruising Club that offers recaps of all marine forecasts and emergency reporting and route tracking all free of charge. They cover the entire east coast and Bahamas. www.waterwayradio.net You don't need a license to listen.
    If you are going offshore it is a great tool to have for safety.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Good point about receiving A.M. and upper side band for the cruisers weather net. A decent multiband receiver with a short dipole antenna would suffice for all frequencies so you can receive the time tic to the BBC. Your ground plane or counterpoise doesn't assist your transceiver on receive but only when transmitting R.F.
  12. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Yeah, I picked up my radio license several years ago so I could key up the transmitter on any channel and give my position, local weather and where I plan to be tomorrow. I Also like the range the transmitter gives me in order to make emergency calls to the coast guard or land based relays. I'm glad my boat came with all the hardware necessary to transmit. I'm sure the next owner would appreciate it as well. It's got to be a fairly expensive proposition to install that type of system now