Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Convenient way to tow a boat from a yacht

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by theav8r, Nov 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. partgypsy

partgypsy New Member

Towing a 19' cc outboard behind a 50' boat

This is a great old thread and I hope there is still some interest in it.
    I am interested in the possiblilty of towing my 19 cc fishing boat behind my 50' cruiser as I move to different places on the Chesapeake Bay and its various tributaries. We carry an 8' tender now, but I want to be able to explore further from the boat.
    I didn't think those towing eyes on the bow were for anything but trailering. I considered installing two tow line attachment points... one on each side of the hull about 25% back from the bow and somewhat closer to the water line. These would join a single tow line running to the towing vessel. I would weld eyes to s/s plates and through-bolted to the same size plate inside the hull. I think the boat might hold a straighter line, while allowing the bow to rise a bit and smooth out the stresses. If I am heading in the right direction, are there any calculations or experience that would help me get this correct?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think you're complicating it. Why not just replace the existing towing eye with one with a backing plate. There is a strong possibility of the hull being much weaker where you're talking. Then think about how strange that would look not to mention what happens when those "attachment points" hit the water. You could create a "wet" boat.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

That is just how the 24' RIB we tow is set up. Can't say it looks funny and we do not get spray over the bow form the twin eyes.

I would suggest using Spectra plasma line as your main tow lie. Very, very strong for it's diameter and it floats.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A lot of inflatables have the 3 tow rings to spread the load, not familiar with that on too many RIBS though unless the rings are attached to the collar. Are they set in the glass or the collar? This is a 19 CC fishing boat however. Haven't seen many (any) of those with 3 eyes. These are more often emergency-towed with a bridle off the bow cleat(s) and with the bow tow ring (reinforced) normally. Most f/g boats have sufficient strength in the bow to do the job with a backing plate. It would certainly add to stability though.
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

The eyes are in the glass hull. You are not going to tow a 24' RIB with a 250hp outboard on it off eyes mounted on the tubes. At least not for long. :)

While I have seen few towed boats with twin eyes. Most are set up like you mentioned with a single reinforced tow ring.
  6. Kevin Frazier

Kevin Frazier New Member

Sounds like a great trip!