Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights

Cockpit freezer?

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by praetorian47, Jun 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I've got a nice fridge/freezer on the cockpit that I store beer and drinks in. It's got a AC based compressor and I believe it's just cold plates that are inside it (but not visible). There's an electronic temp control and a thermostat in the bottom, as well as a drain.

There is no seal around the top. There's a clear plexi board that fits inside to help seal but I've been told by many people that I should seal this and it will use much less power. The previous owner warned me against it due to condensation problems.

I tried sealing it and the PO was right. I had iced the sides inside 10 days pretty significantly and had to empty and defrost.

Somebody asked if the unit had a defrost mode, which I don't believe it does. I'm wondering if I could replace the controller with one that does have a defrost mode? I was told some can reverse the cold and heat the plates to quickly defrost. I've no real idea if this is possible, or what I may need to do. Changing the plates would be a big job, so I'd like to stop short of that.

As always, any advice is appreciated!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Generally, no you cannot make a normal freezer frost free. If you're freezing it up that fast, usually it's because air is getting in there, try changing the gasket and that will help.
  3. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

Actually, it's fine with no gasket at all - it's when I put a gasket in that the freezing happens.

I'm not trying to make it frost free, but to minimize if possible. I was even thinking of putting a timer on it. Maybe have it shutoff at midnight until 8am. By the time I want a beer the next afternoon, it will have had lots of time to chill back down. The thought was that any frost might melt and drain during that "off" time.
  4. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I have a cockpit freezer in my Ocean, the cooling coils are about 5 inches from the top and the sensor is at the bottom. I wanted to use it as a freezer so I sealed the top with a Home Depot seal. I operated the freezer at about 24 degrees F for 33 day with actually very little frost build up. I was in a fairly humid environment and I only opened the top lid once per day. It is a power hog, the inverter could only handle this load and other appliances for 4 hours. Without the freezer the batteries will last 8 hours.