Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Classic Yacht Photos and Discussion

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ken Bracewell, Mar 10, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Following up on another thread- one of our members, Manusel, seems to have a wonderful cache of classic yacht photos. I'm starting this thread as a place for him to post them.

So, I'll start. This is Southern Trail, which was a 1926 92' Trumpy which my father owned in the early 90's. The next one is a picture of (a very young) me and my dad aboard her in the Erie Canal.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ken,

In order to best index the pictures and historical data by Manusel, each set of pictures needs it's own dedicated thread. We already have a forum for classic and antique yachts. Once that forum is better propagated, we can move it to the index page for increased exposure.

Thanks!
  3. YachtForums

4. Manusel

Manusel Member

Thanks, Ken. There is a thread on here somewhere - maybe in the Trumpy-yacht forum - that has a lot on Southern Trail. She met a sad end, unfortunately. I'll try to find that thread and add my pictures there. Her original name was Trail, designed by John Trumpy but built by Mathis. It looks like the administrator wants us to put all this old stuff on the Vintage & Classic forum. The Trumpy forum may be separate.
  5. YachtForums

Exactly Manusel. If there was enough info on one particular class yacht brand, like Trumpy, then I would set up a dedicated forum. In the interim, it's best to group all brands we have limited info on into one forum; the Vintage & Classic Yacht forum (link above)
  6. Ken Bracewell

Roger, Carl. Just trying to make it simple for Manusel. Looks like you have that covered.
    I'm happy to have you delete this thread in order to avoid confusion.

BTW- My Dad sent me an email, after seeing this thread, stating that the Southern Trail was 96'
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Ken - Did it grow or is your Dad treating it like a caught fish ;-)
    Great pic and thanks for sharing. Your boat bones go way back and you're a great example of what growing up boating can do for a life and a career from childhood experiences. Good job, Dad!
  8. Ken Bracewell

Thanks, Judy. I often say the same thing about my Dad. He really groomed me for this career, without actually trying to, from an early age.
    I'll never forget stepping aboard the Southern Trail for the first time. I joined Dad in the Erie Canal, after he'd brought it up from Florida with a couple of his crew. About ten minutes after stepping aboard, Dad says "OK- I'm headed to the grocery store. You take her through the next couple of locks and I'll meet you upstream". Talk about white knuckles. But what a sense of pride!
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Great story - maybe we need a new thread of kids growing up on boats.
  10. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You start.
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Some other type of classic (historic) yachts (boats). Most of them are more than 100 years old and still going strong. They are all privately owned and used a lot during the season. Some of them are even live aboards.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Sorry I forgot to mention, they are blow boats :D.
  12. Loren Schweizer

Anyone who appreciates this sort of thing ought to pick up a copy of Farley Mowat's "The Boat Who wouldn't Float"--classic, humorous wooden sailboat story with descriptive Nova Scotia settings..
  13. Ken Bracewell

First book I ever read from cover to cover! And I read it every time I happen into the waters of the Maritime Provinces. But wasn't it Newfoundland?
  14. Loren Schweizer

Hi Ken--you are undoubtedly correct. I should have said, as you did, 'Maritime Provinces', as the story includes a run up the St. Lawrence at the conclusion. That same 'special mud' that prevented the leaks? It's also between my ears.