Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Chesapeake Bay deadrise opinions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Knight, Mar 4, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Knight

Knight Member

I happened to check out a 42ft. I was pretty impressed by the layout and room. Main issues I'm assuming would be rough seas, low visability and single engine. Anyone know anything about these boats or can offer insight about advantages, disadvantages.
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

There's a bazillion of 'em on the Chesapeake, mostly work boats of various flavors (crabbing, oystering, commercial and charter fishing, etc.). Layouts vary a bit, mostly utilitarian in workboat version, sometimes slightly more upscale in a few fitted more for family cruising.

Probably depends on what your intended use might be...

They handle well enough; they're low so rough seas aren't as hard on crew (although they can be wet), and single-engine ops are commonly less expensive than twins (only one engine to maintain). Can't speak to visibility; they'd probably drive me crazy due to all the crab pots, but the watermen don't seem to mind.

I've seen a couple with bow thrusters; before that, I used to say thrusters weren't really necessary, since watermen don't use them. After seeing a couple, I decided if a Chesapeake waterman can have a bow thruster, so can I. :)

I have read that 46' is an ideal length for the Chesapeake, balancing boat length against typical wave period. Dunno if true...

-Chris