Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Change or upgrade Ideal windlass

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by My Affair, May 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. My Affair

My Affair Member

I have an Ideal rope windlass, I'd like to use 100 ft chain to shorten up scope and to have a better storm set up. Currently using Delta 45 lbs. anchor with 6 feet of chain and 250' 5/8 line.

Has anyone changed out the windlass and what did you go to, difficult? Looking for automatic free-fall and operation from the bridge. Looking at Maxwell RC10 which looks a little more robust than the Ideal I have.

Thank you.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have not seen an automatic free fall windlass on your size boat, and for good reason, it's really easy for the chain to start free falling too fast and create a huge mess. You should be able to get a different drum for your windlass that accomodates chain and rode. Otherwise there are much better brands over ideal, however you're going to have to use one that has the same foorprint to make life a heck of a lot easier.
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I can't recommend ideal. It took 3 months to get a new motor and it was bad when we got it. Customer service is the worse.