Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

Cary 50

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ohcandyman, Jun 13, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Looking good! That's the old "Lady Columbo". Congrats on your purchase.
  2. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

That is awsome, I want the areson's on mine really bad. As a attension getter they dont get much better. post some more pics if you will and where do you keep her?
  3. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

SHAZAM, Did you work for Victor Posner? My wife and I went down to the Cary plant a few years back shortly after he died to try to buy some parts I was looking for (my dash you junked!) and some guy ran us off so we went over to the marina where the 70 and other boats were at and snooped around there. The 70 was really sweet looking with that turbine, to bad it didnt work. I would have loved to get my hands on it. I tried to watch the auction but it was screwed up on line, so you must have had to be there.
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

No I didn't work for Posner, but I met the goons at Cary back in the late 90's when I went there to buy some parts for my old 50. I purchased the 70 at the auction that was held at Bahia Mar.
  5. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

what did you do with the 70? is it still around? I saw some pictures of it at a marina sitting dry dock must have been when you had it and were refitting the turbine. What happened to the 50's at that auction any idea. What did that stuff sell for?
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The 70' went to Russia after the center turbine and the arneson drive was removed.
  7. Build It

Build It New Member

Hi Guys, just found this thread. I own a 1989 50 cary with twin Mans/Arneson Drives and quite familiar with the history of the boat. I also would like to know where I can get some parts? Especially the plexi glass door to cabin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  8. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Was yours the one with 6 cylinder Mans that was repowered by the people that were building the Columbos? If so, did you buy it within the last five years or are you the same owner that had it docked just west of the hillsboro inlet? The reason I ask is because I had put an offer on the boat back in 2008 or 2009 and never got an answer from the broker.

Regardless, since the factory is gone and the molds have been destroyed, your only hope of getting a new door is to have a plastic shop build you a new one. This shouldn't be too hard as its a simple door with generic hardware that can be found anywhere.
  9. Build It

Build It New Member

Was yours the one with 6 cylinder Mans that was repowered by the people that were building the Columbos?

Hi Shazam, yes, that is all correct. Can you recommend a good plastics company?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Prospect Plastics in Oakland Park, FL. What speed does she cruise at with the MAN's? Are they twin's or a triple engine application?
  11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Cap, this was a really clean gas powered 50 that was repowered with twin 6 cylinder mans. What makes this one even more unique was that she was one of the last ones that was built in Michigan and therefore had a unique stainless steel windshield that only one or two other 50's had that updated the boat dramatically.

As far as replacing the door goes, I'd get rid of the plexi pos and talk to the folks over at American Marine about building you a proper aluminum and glass sliding door. The last two 50's built by Cary (in miami) had these types of doors and I'm fairly certain that American built them.

While we're on the subject, take a look at this waste of four 350 Yamahas...

Attached Files:

12. Build It

Build It New Member

She cruises 25 knots comfortably. I'm sending the props out to tweak them and hope to get better results. She is real clean Shazam, with the european windshield. You are correct, he didn't build many with that windshield. I'll let you know how she runs when I get props back.
    Cap, thanks for the tip on the door.
  13. Build It

Build It New Member

It's a twin Man 6 cylinder/600 hp with Arneson ASD-10 surface drives. It's nice with a twin set up as opposed to triples. They claim when it was originally re-powered with the Man's it cruised at 30 knots. Hoping the prop adjustments get me back close to that.
  14. Build It

Build It New Member

Looking to sell 1989 50' Cary if anyone interested. Clean, twin MAN 600 HP with Arneson surface drives. Feel free to call Ron at REMOVED!
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Guess the new props did not work??
  16. Build It

Build It New Member

Picked up 1.5 knots, unfortunately need to sell.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am sorry that have to let her go. Good luck.
    ,rc
  18. Build It

Build It New Member

Thanks rc. Maybe my situation will change and she can stay with me.
  19. xfact5

xfact5 New Member

scarab meteor to cary 50.....

just found this thread...love it. I am interested in the man powered cary. All the numbers I have seen crunched show a twin arneson 600 hp boat easily over 35 knots...not much more but a bit.

i repowered my scarab meteor five years ago with 750hp seateks with fixed surface drives...the boat is just about 20,000 lbs and only 9 feet wide...a 50 mph cruise works for me but I need more room. that brought me to the cary 50.
  20. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Aren't you the guy that manufactures kit cars?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.