Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Cary 50

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ohcandyman, Jun 13, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

You are correct! this is the 2nd to the last built in Grand Haven Mi. Titled as a 1989 but didnt hit the water until 1991. one of two that have the italian curved windshield. And the hatch's are automotive but they work.
  2. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

It has gone thru alot of ungrades over the years...

Attached Files:

3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The hatches work, but if my memory serves me correctly, they had a lights in them with a cheap plastic cover which on my boat were broken. Replacements lenses for those lights weren't available when I had my 50.

Regardless, that's a great looking old boat.
  4. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

lights in hatches are cheap but still in desent shape. I do need a dash panel if anyone knows where there might be a parts boat? I found the plastic's guy that built them but he no longer has the molds to screen print them.:mad:
  5. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

heres a pic of the dash

Attached Files:

6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

boriqua!
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A good plastics place, such as Prospect Plastics in Oakland Park, FL are capable of replicating your dash board and scribing the necessary things in it. They have done very nice dashes for me over the years.
  8. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Correct. Believe it or not up until about a year ago, I had a complete 50 Cary dash package that I ended up ****canning.
  9. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

You threw out a dash panel:eek: I'm going to be sick.... anyone else have any Cary's for parts????
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Even worse, I threw out a fully rigged dash panel with brand new faria gauges as well as a complete set of cockpit upholstery!
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why didn't you sell it on EBAY or something like that?
  12. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

Ok then, what else is out there in Cary parts or even a parts boat, I would be interested in buying, BEFORE THEY GET SCRAPED!!!....:cool:
  13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Don't fret about what I threw out! You should have seem what Cary threw out when they closed down! Everything went to the dump, including the molds that is with the exception of one brand new 12cyl Mtu which they sold for $4k.
  14. missmelanie

missmelanie New Member

I believe I bought the Lady Columbo.

Do you know more about this boat? and the Columbo Factory. I've been unable to trace the name through documentation. The boat is very impressive and runs very well with the cats and arnesons. I dont know of any other 50 that was set up this way do you? My boat is a "1989". Thanks
  15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

This boat was owned by a wealthy FTL business man (Jack something or other) who also happened to have a degenerative eye disease that made him virtually blind. The boat was kept on a lift at the very mouth of the New River and was in impecable condition, I looked at it several times while he still owned it. The owner later embarked on a yacht building venture, once the first of his seventy five foot Columbo Yachts was completed, he got rid of the 50. The 50 with the triple 3208's was a beast.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have no idea why Cary didn't build more of them with 3-3208 cats and arnesons instead of the 100's of them they built with the big blocks and trs drives that weren't really suited to the task at hand. I guess they wanted the noise of the big blocks that everyone loved back in the Miami Vice era.
  17. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

The 3208's x 3 out weighed the quad big block set up so they are a little faster with the gas engines and TRS set up. All the stearn weight is what kills the hull from laying over. Mine runs best above 35 knots when it gets up on top of the water, or if there is a good 3ft waves to run on. Flat water the thing drags along unless your at full throttle. There is a 75' Columbo up here in Holland Mi. I believe it is 1 of 2 ever built. Cool boat and it is Fast for its size. Most everytime I have seen it out the hatches are up and somebody is working on it.
  18. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I think there were three, two open and one with a closed pilot house. If I'm not mistaken, the first one had Deutz diesels that were constantly breaking down.
  19. CARY50

CARY50 New Member

The one up here belongs to the Van Andels/ Devos (Amway corp) and has the Deutz engines. (I think thats what they are) Real pretty lots of chrome. Looks really cool running with the big rooster tails. It has the Griffins hockey team logo on the transom. It must be the team yacht...
  20. missmelanie

missmelanie New Member

Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks for the comments. I agree its a little heavy in the rear but over 30knots it lays down and its martini time. Finding out that its a bit of a head turner as well. If your up in the north east keep an eye out I might be climbing over you wake. Merry Christmas...

Attached Files:

• 196.jpg
      196.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
    • 194.jpg
      194.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
Thread Status: