Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck

Caribbean Facility Updates

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by FL-NATIVE, Sep 25, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Looking for local or otherwise accurate knowledge about the condition of the usual motor yacht marinas and popular destination stops for Puerto Rico through the Leeward islands. We are heading there the end of November and would appreciate accurate input as well as opinions from those of you who either live there or visit often. For example, I have heard Simpson Bay is completely trashed and the marinas will not be ready for this season. Anyone disagree? Also heard the bulkhead at Port Gustavia, SB, is down???
  2. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

These photo's apparently did not attach to the original post:
    SB1.jpg SB2.jpg
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Here's from IGY's pages.

Marinas Currently Under Repair:
    • The Marina at Ortega Landing – Jacksonville, FL
    • Blue Haven Resort & Marina – Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
    • Marina at Yacht Haven Grande – Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
    • American Yacht Harbor Marina – Red Hook, St. Thomas
    • Yacht Club at Isle de Sol – Simpson Bay, St. Maarten
    • Simpson Bay Marina – Simpson Bay, St. Maarten
    They suggest emailing them for any more information. They are operating fully Rodney Bay in St. Lucia.

I think much of the area is pretty much in an assessment and repair state and not ready to accommodate and serve guests yet. In the next two months a lot will change and most well funded marinas can make significant recovery. Now, as to what is on land, it's not as easy.
  4. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

I can always depend on you OB! Thanks for the info. I agree, with the amount of money yachts bring to the marinas and towns those that can will rebuild and repair as quickly as possible. Another question if you don't mind: The owner wants to dock where there are hotel accommodations. Before Irma was even a threat I was unable to get an email reply from Port de Plaisance. Do you know if the hotel was still up and running prior to the hurricanes?
  5. olderboater

I have no idea the status of the hotel.
  6. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Native- I hate to say it, but I would start to think of alternative ideas for this winter. I am all for bringing business back to the Islands. But I have spent the last 12 years down in the VI's and think that although the marina's might be ready, the infrastructure around them will not be.
    Just in the BVI, docks with hotels are out of business. Peter Is., Bitter End, and Scrub Island will not be open.
    From what I saw in St. Maarten, I would write that off as well. If you are intent on going down, I think St. barths will be your best shot, they have the money to get back up and running and the supply chain comes from other large french islands. Maybe look into basing out of St. Kitts, new marina, not sure if the Hotel is up and running yet.
    Other ideas would be further down, St. Lucia or Grenadines, but lots of open water between Islands and get pretty rough and rolly at anchorage.
    I have a feeling the Bahamas will be packed this winter! It's a shame Cuba is not more open!
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Here is a partial answer for you on St. Maarten...

8. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks so much ychtcptn for your insightful information, exactly what I am looking for. How interesting to see some yachts and boats completely destroyed while others appear to have minimal damages. Thanks for the great video's as well. I will heed your sage advice.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The drone footage brings an eerie perspective. The carnage is beyond belief!
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

The music is suitably mournful....
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bottom line boats can not survived a direct hit from a major hurricane. Period.
  12. 101TUG

101TUG Senior Member

I was in Rodney Bay Marine in St Lucia for Irma and Maria, nothing happen here, but they need to fix wifi this is terrible no cominucation those days...

Hugues
  13. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Amazed by the number of upside down cats.
  14. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I had the same thoughts on the cat, the wind must get underneath and flip them
  15. olderboater

A couple of observations looking at the remnants of the three/four hurricanes. Sailboats have a lot worse time of it than powerboats. Far greater percentage of sailboats flipped and/or sunk.

Powerboats in well constructed floating docks (concrete docks, tall piles) survived better than others including in most cases with high winds, better than boats on land.

Fiberglass boats did better in the storms than wooden houses.

Just one person's observations from first hand looks in TX and FL and photos and videos in FL and the Caribbean.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Don't you have access to a camera so we can see something of all you tell us...?
  17. olderboater

Photos and videos are readily available online. We don't use cameras generally and when helping or working in a hurricane torn area our last thoughts were to take photos of it. I offered only as my personal observations.
  18. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

That video is amazingly awful. But what I'm curious about is the failure mode for large yachts, that sink in their slips. Presumable they remain tied in place so why did they sink? Swapped by waves, rain? Holed by floating debris? I would think, short of holing, they would be sealed up pretty tight and have enough bilge pumping capacity to evacuate whatever water would get in. I was under the impression that, boats were generally lost when boat/docks were floated off due to storm surge or chaffed lines and got away (mooring or dock). But many of these boats seem sunk with dock lines still in place?
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I would assume that there is some time of above or below waterline breach that allows water to enter the bilges and the bilge pumps usually stop working after they have depleted their DC source?
  20. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think being in 170mph winds and waves, while being upside down, really screws with your Rule float switch.