Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

Cape Horn: The best there ever was?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Jasra, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jasra

Jasra New Member

Cape Horn: The best there ever was?

I keep looking, but there doesn't seem to be a trawler yacht to match quality of design and outfitting. In particular the azimuthing thrustmaster hydraulic drive has got to be the best propulsion system ever. Reducing vibration, keeping the ME at optimum speed and enhancing manoeuvrability. If we added hydraulic pumps to the two gen sets and a retractable azimuthing bow thruster which would double as your "get home" propulsion it truly would be the best trawler yacht ever built in my humble opinion. Pity you can't buy one any more!
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, Cape Horn were not bad and I don´t know the situation now, there was talk of a new builder but maybe it never happened.

Building a small trawler is not that difficult, I have seen several designs and there are builders. I recently made this design for a Turkish shipyard.

Attached Files:

3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

will she be a one off or a series built? if not confidential can you disclose the name of the yard?

nice lines and i am excited to have a look at the interior layout.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The idea is to have a semi custom series in a few sizes, but I must talk to the builder before I reveal more.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don't be surprised if the original poster who has been such a promoter of this obscure yacht to date is suddenly the one to have one for sale with a different user name and IP Addy ( Mods take note)
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We are never surprised, but this thread was a great opportunity for me and Eric to show our trawlers...;)
  7. strat57

strat57 Member

AMG.... not to take anything from your design, it's quite impressive. But I have to say the Moloka'i Strait is quite the passagemaker. Surely on my short list of "want one"!

The Seaton Yacht "Expedition Seventy" seem to be another nice design. Like the Nordhavns though, it's FRP construction too if I'm correct. My question would be regarding durability of the hulls as well as maintenance issues between steel and FRP construction. Not to mention initial price difference to purchase.

Regarding "Jasra" and his "humble opinion" stating or asking.... "Cape Horn: The best there ever was?" Well.... guess we're all entitled to an opinion! But it sure seems to be "leading" somewhere doesn't it! ;) Not to mention what's available now may just overshadow what used to be considered "the best".

Real Ships is another one that seems to be a well built passagemaker also. Their web site is still incomplete though..... but I'd certainly like to see a review on one of their builds too.

Oh well, just trying to keep the conversation going......
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As I said, there are some nice designs out there. Mine was not meant to be just one of them, but a little more modern. It has been a few various stages before we decided on one style as you can see here:

Attached Files:

9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Kiwi: thanks for being sharp, per usual.

Jasra: your profile says you're a ship broker. Only nice to disclose that. If you're listing one, it belongs under the Yachts For Sale category. And yes, you can still buy a Cape Horn, either a brokerage vessel or a new build.

There were 5 Cape Horns built with Z-drives; the other dozen or so were not and were still great boats - it was not the Z-drive that made them great, that was only an enhancement and was optional. The combination of hull design, safety features, and commercial applications dressed up were all part of the builder's philosophy.

Judy Waldman
    YACHT BROKER
    Lauri likes this.
  10. brunick

brunick Senior Member

iaa don't like the first one - the profile doesn't has charm...

the second one is better, but as a trawler the last is my favourite
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Curious to the "top-heavy" look of the trawler on the picture:

Although the lines are nice in a way, it looks like the house is too big for the boat.

Perhaps it is the angle of the photo or my un-trained eye, but she looks a bit out of proportion.

I can understand the desire to get as much interior space as possible out of these yachts so the owners can "entertain", but this one seems a bit over the top so to speak, and the rugged trawler/tug kind of look turns silly instead. :(
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Understood and duly noted.

So the yacht in the picture is a custom design to owner's spec?

BTW, the twin funnel design looks really good.
  13. Here is another of Eric's designs that is currently for sale in Fort Lauderdale.

Attached Files:

14. Jasra

Jasra New Member

You are a sceptic! I have no axe to grind and wish I did own a cape horn. I have looked at many designs and have been in the boat business for more than 40 years. My post is my opinion and no more! I still think the hydraulic propulsion solution is the best and cape horn seem to be the only series build that utilised this equipment
    Lauri likes this.
  15. Jasra

Jasra New Member

I have considered your design buy the yachts are too big for a older couple to operate on their own (the cape horn 65 is the largest I would consider practical) Also you don't use the hydraulic propulsion system which I consider to be the most flexible and quietest propulsion system (though not the cheapest to install). Plus the cost for a one off as opposed to a semi-series build puts your yacht beyond my budget. Having said all that your designs look like great little ships!
  16. Jasra

Jasra New Member

Unlike you I am not a yacht broker and I am on this forum in my private capacity.

Yes my job means I am familiar with ships from VLCC to DSV. So please don't lecture me about cape horn safety until you have been through an oil major 14 day audit of a DSV! Cape Horns are NOT in production now! Cape Horns were NOT the safest recreational yachts built! They were good, but other boats have twin engine rooms. North Sea DPIII vessels MUST have independent engine rooms, generator rooms and even individual and separated switchboards, not to mention double hull. Grandma and suck eggs comes to mind!

Despite the sad scepticism evident on this site and having Molokai Strait yacht designs hijack the thread in a blatant commercial intervention which the the mods choose to ignore, let me say that the purpose of my post was to praise the azimuthing hydraulic drive the cape horns offered as an option, so that in addition to good safety and construction standards the drive system added a simple "get home" system by fitting hydraulic pumps to the gensets which would step up if the main engine went down. (A retractable hydraulic azimuthing bowthruster would have provided a great secondary “get home” solution). Also the main engine could be on soft mounts (also the gen sets) which reduces noise and vibration and allows the main engine to run at the optimum design speed. Manoeuvrability is achieved by adjusting flow through the hydraulic pump.

Does the community know of any other steel hull semi series build in the 55 to 65 foot range which offers this option and do you think the advantages are worth the initial cost?
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Well, you wrote the headline of this thread? Maybe you would be interested to read this as well: http://www.**************/jwyachts/jwyachts_8.html

I was in touch with Cape Horn during the construction of "Lords Warrior" and must say that I was worried about building such a top heavy boat, but it turned out to manage bad weather pretty well. The aft engine room was unusual and gave a lot of interior space, a nice liveaboard yacht.

But building steel trawlers is not rocket science and installing Thrustmaster drives can be done by any builder if you like.
    Lauri likes this.
  18. Jasra

Jasra New Member

I know all about JW Yachts and their relationship with cape horn. That doesn't make her the world's expert on safety to the extent that she can start lecturing others! :mad:

My point was to discuss the thrustmaster installation and obtain views from other owners. Unfortunately this seems to be a commercial forum wher eveyone is trying to make a buck! My first and last thread ! Have a nice day
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Jasra, you were saying that Thrustmaster is the best drive system and asked for other trawler manufacturers, didn´t you? Eric gave you one. I said there are many builders that can build one for you, with or without Thrustmaster. What Judy said that could upset you I don´t know, but if you already have all the answers to your questions, have a nice day yourself.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

JASRA- You might want to call your Wet Nurse and have her repair the rips in your nightie, maybe she can pick up the toys you have thrown out of the pram as well.

Your first post was a well worded and full promotional one for these Trawlers, your profile says you are a ship broker. I put two and two together.

You might want to read up a bit DP II also needs full redundancy.

Audits are what they are be they ISM or other ones they are all manageable by a well found well run vessel.

You might find a number of yachts advertised with DP Capability but you will not find many classed as DP to any level.

Diesel Electric will do the same as your hydraulic drive, have less chance of a spill causing pollution and every genset onboard can be output to the same task so you have a good level of redundancy built in especially if you match multiple smaller gensets to the load you will get the best efficiency out of your engine package.

There are more switchboards etc and there are cooling issues with Electric Drives but there are also Oil Cooling Issues with Hydraulics.

If you bother to read some of the info posted here by some of the members you will see that most are consumate professionals who tend to be polite to others most of the time.

Then again there are a few like you who come in and get wound up like a line around the prop over assumed slights. You might have trouble finding many of them though because for one reason or another they don't seem to hang around for too long.

If you want to come to this website and poo poo things people post in response to your thinly veiled sales pitch maybe you would get a better response at E Bay.