Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

C-Flex hull

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by Edwardc1949, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Edwardc1949

Edwardc1949 New Member

I see that "Flying Lady " (Trumpy/61' houseboat) has a C-Flex hull. Is this fiberglass w/epoxy or something special ? Is it expensive ?

THanks,
    Edward
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. Ward

Ward Senior Member

Haven't seen any mention of C-Flex for a while, apparently it still exists, still made by the original company:

C-Flex

It's a fiberglass planking material - long rods of fiberglass held together in a fabric matrix. So you get "planks" of the stuff, several feet long and a few inches wide and put them over your mold frames. The rods give it enough strength to span the frames and tend to nicely fair out.

That page above has a link to a manual for working with it, and if you google "c-flex fiberglass" and look at images, there are a few that give you an idea of what the stuff is like. The pictures that look the most useful to me are the smallish black&white pictures from the Glen-L boat plans web site (another name I haven't seen for a long time!).
  3. Ward

Ward Senior Member

One of the listings for Flying Lady says:

I would assume that they put a layer of C-Flex and fiberglass over the outside of the hull, but the way that ad reads, it almost sounds like they did it on the inside.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would this ship be "The Flying Lady" bases in Savannah/Thunderbolt GA during the 80s and run by C&S bank?
    Dawg-gone that was a pretty ship.