Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger

|Burger Boat | 46.02M | "NADAN" -ex. "Sycara IV"- | 2009 |

Discussion in 'Burger Yacht' started by YachtForums, Aug 17, 2009.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Coming down the backstretch on our review of Sycara. Chuck and I have about 70 hours into this. Still finalizing last minute details. Should go live in a day or two...
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Outstanding boat! Fantastic review and photography.
  3. YachtForums

Thanks PropBet! With Sycara finished, I need to thank some people...

• Thanks to Burger's engineers and craftsmen for doing something far more complicated than most can imagine. Trying to engineer and build an old school boat using today's technologies is a lot harder than it looks.

• Special thanks to Burger's marketing team, specifically Ron Cleveringa for putting up with my relentless calls and requests for images & information. He spent an entire morning showing me Burger's operations and touring Sycara when he should have been packing to catch a flight to Florida that afternoon for a broker's conference.

• Thanks to Neil Rabinowitz for his outstanding photography. Neil had a difficult environment to work in. Sycara was far from finished during Neil's photo-shoot. Dozens of workers were onboard and cleared one room at a time so he could set the stage for the shots. In some cases, the images were P-Shopped for effect, such as adding a scenic background, when the actual shot was on the Manitowac River, with an industrial background.

• Very special thanks to YF's Chuck Gnaegy for finding the fitting words that give me a basis in which to expand on. Together, I believe the reviews we do are the best in yachting, but I'm a little prejudice.

• Special thanks to Lars and Kevin for being here and looking after YF. Kevin has recently started proofing reviews for us, which helps me tremendously. I'm juggling so many things I can't spell anymore.

• And finally, thanks to everyone at YF for being patient and keeping the momentum going. :)
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

At least your fingers won't smash the wrong key on a full sized keyboard, No more excuses for spelling, unless typing from the digital touch pad of the Iphone where the fatty fingers experience problems relaying the end result from the brain! Good job Carl..lol
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

And, with a little help from an online tutorial, here's an age appropriate image of the gorgeous Sycara.

Congrats to all involved for a great walk through a beautiful vessel.

Attached Files:

6. Yacht News

Right on point Kevin! I had to look twice to see what the vessel was...then realised...oh...
  7. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Thank you sir. May I have another?

I found your answer to my question in the Details section of the review. Thanks for checking that out, but I guess it now begs another question. You mentioned a removeable pin. So the domes are raised and lowered manually? Any concerns with heavy weather?
  8. YachtForums

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]So the domes are raised and lowered manually? [/QUOTE] The pin would indicate this isn't a hydraulic or electric pedestal.

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Any concerns with heavy weather?[/QUOTE]
    Only if you're the mate that has to climb up top. ;)
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

It could just mean that the owners don't give a flying fig that the phone doesn't ring every 5 minutes.

They are on the boat to relax and get away from it all. You don't build a fantail to be on the cutting edge of tech.

If it's really important, somehow, somewhere any accountant will find you. Just don't encourage them with ease of access.
  10. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Great job on the review Carl! I liked the seperate "details" section.

The forward sterring post is one of my favorite things about this yacht, I would be up ther all the time "Yo Ho, Yo Ho..."

Dan
  11. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Then this may be the most refreshing change in yacht design and use that I've seen in a while. Given the seemingly overabundance of HD televisions on large yachts in almost every guest space including (it seems) most outdoor spaces and WiFi APs for guest access throughout the boat, it just seems highly unusual for a build of this size and magnitude these days.
    “…the bridge-wide console features an Anshutz Gyro Compass, Simrad AP50001 Autopilot, KVH Tracphone, Ericson W25 Quad-band GSM Cell, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB, Furuno NavNet vx2 Radar/Chartplotter, Furuno DS80 Doppler Log, Furuno LH3000 Hailer, Furuno NX-700 Navtex Receiver, Northstar 6100i GPS, Furuno FA-150 AIS, Furuno Fax 408 and Icom IC-M604 VHF. Three Hatteland TFT monitors display the ship's information, while a Pelco CCTV system supplies visuals through Sycara's back-up camera installed on the ceiling of the aft deck, as well as her main mast, to aid in docking.”

Don’t say that about the bridge. It seems to have a little bit more than just those paper charts seen in the photos, a magnetic compass and a sextant that would reflect those simpler, earlier times.;)
  12. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Oh dear…. envy and lust are both sins – so off I trot to confession once more…

What a beautiful girl!!

Thank you Carl and all involved for such an excellent review. And well done to all at Burger. Pride might be a sin too, but are entitled this time - and duly absolved!
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Then this may be the most refreshing change in yacht design and use that I've seen in a while. Given the seemingly overabundance of HD televisions on large yachts in almost every guest space including (it seems) most outdoor spaces and WiFi APs for guest access throughout the boat, it just seems highly unusual for a build of this size and magnitude these days.

“…the bridge-wide console features an Anshutz Gyro Compass, Simrad AP50001 Autopilot, KVH Tracphone, Ericson W25 Quad-band GSM Cell, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB, Furuno NavNet vx2 Radar/Chartplotter, Furuno DS80 Doppler Log, Furuno LH3000 Hailer, Furuno NX-700 Navtex Receiver, Northstar 6100i GPS, Furuno FA-150 AIS, Furuno Fax 408 and Icom IC-M604 VHF. Three Hatteland TFT monitors display the ship's information, while a Pelco CCTV system supplies visuals through Sycara's back-up camera installed on the ceiling of the aft deck, as well as her main mast, to aid in docking.”

Don’t say that about the bridge. It seems to have a little bit more than just those paper charts seen in the photos, a magnetic compass and a sextant that would reflect those simpler, earlier times.;)[/QUOTE]

All of the above is pretty much standard fare on a new build today, hardly cutting edge.

Its the idea of cruising on a glorious fantail, with just elegance as your shadow, that appeals.
  14. RBJacobson

RBJacobson New Member

Clearance

Do anyone know what the clearance is with the mast, stack and rails off? It looks like they spent a good amount of time and money to keep her as low as she is
  15. Yacht News

Well I am not sure RBJacobson, The review did not state as far as I read. Maybe you would have to ask our Administrator.
  16. RBJacobson

RBJacobson New Member

What is the lowest bridge on the Erie Barge Canal? Was she designed to pass under it?
  17. YachtForums

I could ask, but short of a good reason, I don't want to bother Burger right now. The world's media is deluging them with requests for info.
  18. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I believe the clearance on the barge canal is about 20-21 feet.
  19. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

20. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Very nice yacht, stunning pictures, well detailed review.

I am still poring over it, fourth time now.