Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Bow Thruster Battery??

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by trmnewt, Jul 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

That was the issue with mine--they weren't set up to release at the same time-at least that is what I was told. I did review the threads on inverters. Interesting, but there does not seem to be a consensus. I see now, though, why you guys get paid what you do. There is a lot more to this than just "driving boats "
  2. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

If your batteries are dying in 13 months they are either being over charged or undercharged.

Over charging (constantly > 13.6V) will def shorten the life of the battery and under charging (< 13v) will cause sulfation and they won't have as much capacity. You need to figure out which one is occurring and that's a simple voltmeter on the battery bank to see what the charger is doing. A battery monitor like Victron is also a really good tool.

Once a year I run my batteries up to 15.5V for up to four hours (you have to monitor temperature and specific gravity) to deliver an equalization charge and get rid of the sulfation on the plates. Say you have a 100amp hour battery and you pull 50 amps out of it, the voltage should be no less than 12.20-12.24V (battery at 50% discharge) and if it is your battery may be sulafted depending on age. Lastly don't discharge them bellow 50% or they will be short lived for sure...
  3. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Interesting--thanks for the comments. The Xantrex inverter/charger is connected to a Heart Interlink control pad which does monitor voltage--is that the same as the Victron? It also has a desulfation cycle which I've never used before as I didn't really understand the need for it.

However, my issues continue. This past weekend I went up to the boat and the house batteries are again dead--0 volts. I had them on an external charger and it was in float mode Thursday. My daughter went up to stay on the boat for a few days, and 2 days later the batteries were dead. She wasn't using much in the way of 12v power. Is it possible one of the vacuum pumps for the heads, or the sump pump for the gray water tank, is stuck on and providing enough draw to drain the batteries despite being on the charger? Could this be why the inverter burned out? Any way to salvage the batteries? They won't accept a charge from the external charger...
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Replace the charger. I have a boat with a Xantrex, it lasts about 3 years and fries itself. I've replaced it twice now. Charge the batteries with an external charger, and then load test each one. If they're 3 years or older, or as you stated, won't accept a charge, they're junk, just change them. It doesn't take much with someone staying on the boat......using the head, lights, shower, etc.....to kill a battery bank without it being charged.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you dug deep enough you would find we don't like the Xantrax line of equipment across our service lines. Skippy J just brought in some of his well established Xantrax history.
    In north Florida, I push the Master Volt products with very good results. Again, bad batteries can make any charger look bad, (re-read post # 14 & 16).
  6. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

If these are flooded batteries you can check the specific gravity of each cell in each battery with a hydrometer and see if you have a bad cell/bad battery and or check health of other batteries if wired in parallel.

Did you add regular water to batteries? Sometimes people do that and the minerals in the water cause the plates to short. Distilled or deionized water only... On the contrary maybe the charger overcharged the batteries causing the electrolyte to gas out below the plates destroying the battery.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is another important item to check. Separate all batteries and hydro each cell if you can. If you have a grids of batteries making a bank, one bad cell can mess all up.
    Remember, it's a system where all has to work together.