Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Boatyard Hurricane Plan Good Enough?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by xdeerizx, Sep 8, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. xdeerizx

xdeerizx New Member

Hey Forum!

I've got a Azimut 55s in Miami and it's all out of the water and up on stilts at Apex Boatyard a few miles up the Miami River. Does anyone have experience with the overall process of hunkering down the boats? Is it just the same procedure used for a regular haulout? Or do they take extra precaution like tying down etc?

A little worried my boat may be turned upside down with this monster on it's way.

Thoughts?
  2. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

If on jacks, tie them all together with chains so they can't slide out from under the boat, strap the boat down with lots of lines to the ground with long rods in the ground at an angle. Hope for the best just being on the hard is not good enough it must be blocked well and tired down well.
  3. xdeerizx

xdeerizx New Member

I'm assuming they tie down but not exactly sure. :(
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It's something you need to discuss with the yard ahead of time. Indeed they should chain the stands but obviously there are yards that don't. As to pulling canvas, securing cushions etc it's usually the owners job unless specifically assigned to the yard
  5. Capslingshot

Capslingshot New Member

I have a 60 Viking at Apex in Stuart, these guys know their jobs, I wouldn't worry at all ! If anything happens, collect ins and start shopping again but They do all my work and there is no better
  6. menkes

menkes Member

never trust anybody but yourself in a situation like that !!!
  7. xdeerizx

xdeerizx New Member

Good to hear!
  8. Capslingshot

Capslingshot New Member

Your in Greece so you have no idea what is going on here, arrogance is what will get you every time !
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Apex has a good reputation. Also, Stuart's risk has dropped in the past couple of days.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I disagree but this is good advice. If you re going to haul out or secure a boat for a storm, you as the owner need to be involveded. You can't rely on the yard. It's not arrogance but common sense

The best option, assuming you have the range, is to get the boat out of the direct landfall area. 75 to 100nm either way is enough

Take the larger yachts destroyed in st marten for instance,,, why were they not moved 130nm south to guadeloupe or little farther to Dominica?
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Apex Miami doesn't have a good reputation. I know someone that had a 65' painted, 50 percent over budget, looked horrible, and they kept repainting areas and still looked bad. Their google reviews are bad too.
  12. Capslingshot

Capslingshot New Member

Well you know what they say about opinions, I have heard negative on many so called reputable yards, I can only share my experiences here, we live aboard at Allied and hear and see a lot from people having work done, also we did not let them haul us and just leave the boat.