Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Walker

bluewater Coastal Cruiser 51 starter question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chris lux, Aug 6, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chris lux

Chris lux New Member

I have a 1989 Bluewater 51 Coastal Cruiser. The starter s bad on the Port side. I had a fella replace the starter and I think he put the wrong starter on. Do the motors on these boats rotate in opposite directions? The starboard side motor is rotating clockwise amdstarts fine. Currently, the port side is rotating clockwise as well. I think we may have hydrolocked it. Does anyone know for sure if the motors on this yacht rotate in opposite directions
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What motors do you have????? Yes it is possible for some gas engines to rotate backwards if they have a camshaft that makes them run backwards.

You also get exactly what you pay for when you hire "mechanics".
  3. Chris lux

Chris lux New Member

I have twin 454 crusaders. We checked the firing order and they were different from each other which indicated to us that they were spinning in opposite directions. I thought about checking the pitch on the props but they are tough to reach and I am not sure if I can tell the difference by feel.
  4. 30West

30West Member

The props will be opposite pitch, but prop rotation direction is often accomplished by the transmissions. Firing order does indicate rotation. Best get a (different) mechanic involved before (more) damage is done.

Perhaps pull the spark plugs out and rotate by hand in gear to see which way the prop shaft rotates? Are there any indications on the alternator of rotation direction? Water pump?