Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander

| Blohm + Voss | 163M | "Eclipse" | 2010 |

Discussion in 'Blohm & Voss Yacht' started by Yacht News, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

"Eclipse" has a mini submarine? Since when? Some information in the specs from the PDF are news to me! Eclipse is 170-meter?
  2. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

The document is genuine, but it may not be the final version.
  3. nmna

nmna Senior Member

Mini-submarine, missil detection system, 170m, the M147 rendering... That almost looks like a fake brochure.

Afak Eclipse has 4 tender bays; unless she has a 007-like submarine deployment system, I don't know where they keep it.

Missil detection system was also a feature aboard Pelorus, at least according to the yellow press ;)

Btw, both brochures appear to have been made in November 2011.
  4. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

You are right, the document was made in 2011, but only showed up now. But why would Edmiston do a fake brochure? Where did they get the pictures?
  5. nmna

nmna Senior Member

It's not about the pictures (which of course are real), but there are some inconsistencies.

In the first pages of the brochure it's said she has 4 diesel engines (4x MTU 20V 1163 TB93) and some pages below (comments section) they say she has a diesel-electric propulsion.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 20V 1163'S might be used as Gensets although they are an older engine model these days and I would have thought an 8000 series engine would have replaced them by the time Eclpse was built.
  7. dainisk

dainisk Member

I suspect that the 4 diesels are all gensets. I was recently on a small cruise ship (Le Boreal - similar in size to Eclipse), which used diesel-electric propulsion. It had 4 gensets, 3 of which seemed to be required to run the ship and propulsion. On a visit to the bridge, I saw a display with the 4 gensets clearly showing their respective outputs, though I don't recall the exact KW being produced (should have taken a photo of the screen). Numbers around 40KW come to mind, but could be way off. On the bar graphs of the display, 3 gensets were producing about 80% full power and the 4th seemed to be idling. We were at sea doing about 12 knots.
  8. Erik C.

Erik C. New Member

I had made a post about Serene and Eclipse being for sale on another forum including a link to the brochures. The post was removed because the moderators had been informed the brochure was a fake.
  9. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

The brochure was on an Edmiston server together with dozens and dozens of other brochures and other documents all from Edmiston. All the info in those brochures matched exactly was is on the regular Edmiston website. It was not a fake, it was an a draft from 2011. The pictures are very real. Edmiston could be liable for releasing that information, which is now in the public domain.
  10. mfranjic

mfranjic New Member

Eclipse - propulsion system

On the subject of the yacht´s Eclipse propulsion system, we have already been talking, in this thread, for a several times, but never too much or too often. Unfortunately, the lack of specific and reliable data was leading us to, nothing but, assumptions and one of them, somehow tacitly accepted, was that Eclipse is an all diesel electric yacht with MTU diesel generators propulsioned by engines of series 4000....Now, I think the same way as I have always been, that it is all absurd and unnecessarily covered with the veil of secrecy and mystery ...
    As I recall, we have also concluded that Eclipse has two propellers and one ABB (3,8 MW) azipod.
    I, also, see no reason why Eclipse could not be powered by 4 diesel generators based on MTU´s 20-cylinder engines of series 1163. Most of the power, generated this way, would be used to produce electricity for electric motors that turns propellers and azipod´s electromotor and the rest for the powering of the other onboard systems. Recently, we could see several examples of modern yachts that use diesel electric propulsion systems (Topaz, Serene, Al Mirqab, Octopus, Luna ...). However, engines of type 20V 1163 TB93 (7.400 kW/1.300 rpm) are designed for mechanical operation and not to drive generators. Models of 1163 engines that drive generators are (12, 16 and 20)V 1163 TB33 and their power range, due to the output frequency of generator (50 Hz –1.000 rpm or 60 Hz – 1.200 rpm) and an annual engine´s limit, is between 4.600 kW and 6.250 kW (20 cylider version) per engine. As far as I know, MTU already for a rather long time does not offer 1163 series engines for generator propulsion, nor those of series 8000. This, of course, does not mean they could not be used for that purpose and for custom made power packages (MTU´s largest engines officialy offered for power generation are those of series 956 – short stroke version of series 1163). Otherwise, engines of series 1163 have been used for a long time, primarily because of their high reliability and fantastic power to weight ratio and just because of those reasons, they have been installed in numerous warships. Regardless of this fact, men in MTU were becoming aware of the fact that the gap between series 4000 and 8000 should be closed with more modern technology than the one incorporated on legendary series 1163 so, in last two years, series 1163 was reconstructed and heavily modernized, by using the technology applied on the engines of series 1600, 2000, 4000 and 8000 and now those engines, no longer, bear the designations xV 1163 TBy, but xV 1163 My, the same way as all engines of series 2000, 4000 and 8000 aimed for marine (M) propulsion. However, it is impossible that this later version of the engines was installed in Eclipse because, at the time, when the yacht was built, they did not exist.
    If, indeed, there are 4 engines of type 20V 1163 TB93 in Eclipse, this could be meaning that Eclipse has a hybrid drive propulsion system compound of two independent systems: diesel mechanical and diesel electrical. It is quite possible that each propeller is propulsioned by two diesel engines (MTU 20V 1163 TB93) through the double in - single out gearbox and then, for powering azipod´s electromotor and the other ship´s systems, there are several diesel generators propulsioned by engines of series 4000. Maybe, but just maybe, this could make sense and could be connection between what it says in that brochure (hopefully it is credible) and what we have already read here, in this thread, that Eclipse has several diesel engine (MTU 4000 Series) driven generators...
    From all the data I could find, and I was trying to find it for a long time, it's hard to discern what might be true, and which sources of informations could be trusted at all. The fact that there are no official data, indicates that everything else is just speculation and that we are, perhaps, relying on the information contained in this brochure, wandering far from the truth…

Mario
  11. NewTonG

NewTonG New Member

Whats the fuel tank size (Gallons) in eclipse, approximately ?
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

At a guess I would say somewhere between 400 and 600 M3. 105,652 and 158,479 US Gal
  13. NewTonG

NewTonG New Member

Hi thanks for the answer but...

According to a pdf of Blohm & Voss yacht tank "A" is 757m3, I think Eclipse could double that amount given the size
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you already knew the answer why did you bother asking?

757 m3 is plenty for a vessel like that. It is 199,947 US Gal.

It is anyones guess of she can actually load that much however.
  15. NewTonG

NewTonG New Member

I dont know the answer, i know how much is A which is impossible to load more fuel than eclipse, Thanks Anyway
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have shot the build Chief of A a message. He has had some involvement in B and V for something else so he might know.
  17. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

I don´t know Eclipse, but Al Salamah has a tank for 840,000 litres, 184,774 US Gallons. The gross tonage of both yachts is relatively similar.
  18. Zeke

Zeke Member

Eclipse put out a security call at 1500 yesterday (3/30) that they were departing Pier 90 and would anchor at the Statue of Liberty. I headed out to take some photos at sunset. It's a big boat! Here's my photo approx 7pm.

Attached Files:

19. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

Postcard material!!
    Looks great.

Who would have thought 30 years ago that a russian would pass the statue of liberty with the biggest private owned yacht in the world.
  20. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

God only knows who´s going to be there 30 years from now (a North Korean?).