Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

| Blohm + Voss | 163M | "Eclipse" | 2010 |

Discussion in 'Blohm & Voss Yacht' started by Yacht News, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The massive and now world's largest superyacht has been towed out of her B&V shed for the first time yesterday. The yacht goes under the Project name "Eclipse". She purportedly beats the "Dubai" in overall length. Not much is known as yet but as details come to hand I am sure you will know. This near 13,000 tonne beast will probably be delivered at the very end of 2009 or early 2010. We have no pics for now but some are floating around the 'net already. Please, if anyone has anypics that are yours or you have distinct permission to use them, please do not hesitate to post in this thread!
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

3. bee

bee Member

Eclipse

She has beautiful lines and stunning proportions. She could very well end up taking over the title of THE classic yacht since Atlantis I and II built over 30 years ago.
    Who was the designer ??

regards
  4. brunick

brunick Senior Member

men that one is a yacht - if there wasn't any scale like the tugs i'd say that one would be like 100m

launch in december, well, i'll be in hamburg that time :D
  5. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

I like it a lot. IMO, its exterior is beautifully simple, uncluttered, sleek and timeless. Others may say boring and safe. Mind you, if they couldn't make a decent stab at something that long and drawn-out they are in the wrong job.
    I pity the poor guys who have to clean the topsides too.
  6. Yacht News

One thing to note with Project "Eclipse", Is that grey on her hull her colour? I don't think so. For some reason it looks like that protective film they apply to keep the paint work and finish in order while she is being finished. Kinda, a-la-"Predator". It's just what I think, you all can tell me otherwise?
  7. mfranjic

mfranjic New Member

ECLIPSE propulsion

Does anybody know what kind of propulsion M/Y ECLIPSE has? Is it powered by diesel engines only or it has combined propulsion system of diesel engines and gas turbine(s)?
    Best regards to everyone
    Mario
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Diesel Electric with multiple gensets by MTU.

I do not know the exact model or output
  9. Yacht News

She has an ABB Azipod, I guess that is where the Electric part comes in...the Diesel is for 2 conventional screws?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Diesel Engines drive Alternators to make Electricity.

ABB Azipods are driven by Electricity

Hence the term Diesel Electric- Diesel Engines driving Electric Motors via the Alternators, Switchboards and Frequency Converters in between.

I wasn't aware she was on Pods, from a conversation I had a while ago I was of the understanding she was on Electric Motor driven conventional shafts with CPP's
  11. paolo_ita

paolo_ita New Member

ECLIPSE has one 3.8MW ABB Azipod, pag 10...

http://library.abb.com/global/scot/scot293.nsf/veritydisplay/42bbf3c6fd04655ec12574d40021f364/$File/Azipod%20Referencs%202008.pdf
  12. Yacht News

13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If it only has 1 x 3.8 MW (3,800 Electric Kilowatts) Unit, it isn't going to be going anywhere at any sort of speed.
  14. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

15. Yacht News

16. Yacht News

Blohm and Voss Project "Eclipse" is coming along well in her fit out stage. As of September most of the over spray and protective tarp has been removed. She has also been out of the water having final work on her underwater hull done. She is looking really good I must say. However, there is still alot of work left to be done judging by the recent pictures.
  17. Yacht News

18. Yacht News

New pictures of "Eclipse" are welcomed! If you have please do not hesitate to post! Remember the forum rules, no larger than 640 pixels wide!
  19. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

WOW....what a stunning looking vessel!!! Beautiful indeed....one site reported a price of 350,000,000 Euros...that equals about 2,000,000 Euros a meter :eek: ....is this the normal price for the big boy yards these days or does the price increase along with the length???

Cheers,
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Once you get over about 70m and if you want a hi quality custom interior the price goes up exponentially.