Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Burger

Best yacht for a beginner with my needs?.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by xryanx, Mar 21, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You need a license to drive a car... how is it working out? Have you been on I95 lately ? :)

Frankly I think that driving a 25' boat is completely irrelevant to operating a 60 footer. I would almost say that the bad habits acquired on the small boat make it even worst. It really come down to the attitude and willingness to learn more than anything else.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but these owners want to jump on board a 60' MY with 2300 HP and thanks to chartplotters and bow and stern thrusters think they can just go do a 1500NM trip with no training whatsoever. No Captain to teach them. No learning the safety equipment or electronics or how to navigate. etc.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Sorry to rain on your parade but not everyone has been "captain" trained or even needs to be for under 65', this is the USA and not Belgium for heavens sake.

The evolution of propulsion controls and electronic navigation has been a great influencer in growing our industry. There will always be a few bad apples, but so what, they will have their own steep learning curve or get out on their own accord.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

On the other hand, more money than common sense is not a good combination either.
    If folks wants to buy big boats right away and operate them solo or with family, and if they don't have brains enough to get training and supervised experience, perhaps it should be required?
    For their own protection and for those around them.