Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Bertram Forums

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by YachtForums, May 15, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If you are a Bertram yacht owner or buyer, our online yachting magazine can provide information to help you. YachtForums brings you the latest news from Bertram yachts, including the most recent yacht & ship launches, company news, archive pictures, and recommendations on restoring, re-fitting, updating or upgrading Bertram yachts.

Please take a moment to register. Then, post a thread in the Bertram Forums and tell us about a yacht you've owned, a boat you intend to buy, yachts for sale or a yacht you have worked on. Please feel free to upload pictures, share a story, cruise destinations or marina information.

We'd all like to hear from you and we'll look forward to your participation on Yacht Forums, a website for yacht owners, yacht brokers, captains, crews and enthusiasts of yachts, super yachts, mega yachts and big boats with diesel engines!

We're glad to have you onboard!

The YachtForums Crew
  2. Bob Xavier

Bob Xavier New Member

First time post from new member. Looking to buy 1995 50' Bertram with 12-71ddec's looking for the good the bad and the ugly from anyone with knowledge and/or experience. Thanks in advance and I'll await your replays
  3. Bob Xavier

Bob Xavier New Member

On the 50' the power was 12v-71 DDEC @ 900hp. On the 54' they were 12v-92's.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The 12V-71 option was the result of one of the dealers (and Detroit Diesel, of course, in an attempt to blunt the 10-cyl. MAN sales) demanding it, in the late '80s, against the wishes of the factory. IIRC, a deal was struck where said dealer purchased a 50 and DD supplied the engines. The Bertram factory's engineers got involved as well. There was a lot of frustration and much tweaking that hot summer... because the boat wouldn't run any faster than the 8V-92-powered boats. Plus, it was tantamount to sixty pounds of iron in a fifty pound engine room--the consensus by the factory was that, from a production standpoint, this might have been viable in, say, a 52-footer.
    At about the same time, the new boat Luxury tax and the 1990 recession's double whammy AND the flop of the 72 steered the company toward bankruptcy. I may be wrong, but I'd bet not too many 12V-71 Bertram 50s were built. Maybe someone can chime in here?

Welcome aboard, Bob. You've arrived in a Forum where you'll find, perhaps, some things you really didn't want to know.
    BTW, would that be LEWES, DE? Friend of mine grew up there. Neighbor of theirs had a hole in their wall, courtesy of an 1812 British cannonball.
  5. Bob Xavier

Bob Xavier New Member

Thanks Loren for the information very interesting. Most of the brokers I've spoken to have suggested that the 12-71 package was the engine of choice especially in brokerage boats? There are a number of 8-92 boats on the market but most are of the late 80's vintage. Seems that in the mid 90's boats the 12-71's are more prominent. Was there much of a design change from the late 80's to the mid nineties? Was one era better than the other or were they about the same except for the years? Anyone out there with first hand experience with a mid 90's 50' with 12-71's? The next question I have does anyone recommend a GOOD surveyor in the south Florida area for a Bertram? And a good Detroit reference in the same area?
  6. Bob Xavier

Bob Xavier New Member

Hi Loren. Yes I'm in Lewes DE but newly transplanted from LI NY. I see you profile shows you in the south Florida area and if at all possible could we possibly speak privately since the boat I'm interested in is in your backyard? I don't know how to go about giving you my personal contact info put if it's ok to do so please give me instructions to follow. Thanks
  7. Loren Schweizer

Hi Bob--

Not entirely sure, but if you click on my name, and then click on it again when THAT screen pops up, you can reach me. If that doesn't pan out, I know An Influential Person here who can assist.
    Regarding design changes, there was a major one resulting in larger salon windows and a restyled flybridge in 1994.
    You might be aware as well that there were Galley Up (3 S/R) and Galley Down (2 S/R, less common) models.
  8. Loren Schweizer

OK, you have all my contact info; please feel free...
    Early motorcycle breakfast ride on tap, will be home in the afternoon.
  9. Bob Xavier

Bob Xavier New Member

Thanks call tomorrow before heading south.
  10. betomenendez

betomenendez New Member

HI EVERYONE WE ARE IN A REFIT PROJECT ON 1979 BERTRAM CONV USED TO TO HAVE MERCRUSIERS 343 ACTUALLY WE BOUGHT CUMMINS QSB 5.9 WITH ZF 280 GEARS THE BOAT HAS 1 3/4 INCH SHAFTS WITH 23 X 22 . 3 BLADE PROPELLERS ,DO THEY CAN WORK WITH THIS ENGINES?
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Please turn off your caps. On the internet, all caps is equivalent to raising your voice.
  12. betomenendez

betomenendez New Member

sorry i am new
  13. Loren Schweizer

Jeez...now we can't hear him at all.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes
    A few years go converted a 34 to 5.9s from LBCs. Watch your exhaust. Had to increase to 5" exhaust. Your props will have to be replaced with less pitch. The shafts are good.